Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Mets Pitching Staff

[ QUOTE ]
Angels will take Beltran for Santana.

Serious - I have heard Santana is available, but I doubt Angels GM makes a deal unless it is a very very good one. I don't think he would do Santana for Milledge straight up. If I was GM I wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This just in ...

Jim Duquette ain't GM any more.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly doubt the Angels would do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know much about santana, but milledge is a 5 tool guy and one of the best prospects in the game. He came up for two or three weeks and hit some homers, played good D and even threw some guys out at on the bases. is ervin santana really worth MORE than a top level prospect?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Yes, because Ervin Santana is on a team that is involved in a playoff race. In fact, I'd say Santana is MORE valuble to the Angels than he is to the Mets.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:43 PM

I dont think Ervin Santana is actually as good as hes performed for the first half, and if he is, im pretty sure this is his ceiling. I usally have no problem dealing prospects for Current players, but i would want a better pitcher then Santana or Zito for Milledge who is as close to the majors as a top prospect can be.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 AM

I for one think Santana is better than his first half numbers. I think a mid 3ish era is possible for him, which is a very decent mark for the AL.

He is barely completing his first full season (came up last year a little before the all star break), and has had his ups and downs. I really believe he will continue to improve.

No doubt Milledge is a fantastic prospect, and the Angels could really use help in the outfield, but I would prefer Santana.

I also agree with the poster who said Santana is prob worth more to the Angels than he is to the Mets...Angels have less run support and can't really afford to ship off decent starters.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:33 AM

Missing from this discussion is any consideration about who might be available during the off-season.

Anyone know who's a free-agent after this year? As far as I'm concerned, it's acceptable to delay a debatable trade if a stud might be obtained for next year. I do not consider the Mets to be in a "win now" situation.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Missing from this discussion is any consideration about who might be available during the off-season.

Anyone know who's a free-agent after this year? As far as I'm concerned, it's acceptable to delay a debatable trade if a stud might be obtained for next year. I do not consider the Mets to be in a "win now" situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zito and Schmidt are the two frontliners.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:41 PM

The Mets are kind of in a win now situation. They will have a lot of holes in the next few years...

Floyd
Glavine
Trachsel
Lo Duca
2b hole

The mets dont really have anyone lined up for these roles, so i think they have a much smaller window then most think they do, unless of course they act like the late 90s Yanks and sign a ton of FA to fill in the holes next to the young studs. Which is most likely what will happen.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Mets are kind of in a win now situation. They will have a lot of holes in the next few years...

Floyd
Glavine
Trachsel
Lo Duca
2b hole

The mets dont really have anyone lined up for these roles, so i think they have a much smaller window then most think they do, unless of course they act like the late 90s Yanks and sign a ton of FA to fill in the holes next to the young studs. Which is most likely what will happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well seeing as how all those you mentioned are acquisitions, that seems rather obvious...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 PM

I disagree that the Mets need to win now. Of course, they will have to make some changes in the next year or two, but that could be said for virtually every team. And it's not like they have to make those changes all at once, next year. They'll have a couple of years to fill the holes gradually.

The key, of course, is the pitching. If they can develop, or bring in, 1-2 solid starters, this team should contend for a while, especially in that lousy division.