Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Almost in a bar fight/Racism......Follow up.

Thanks for posting OP
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Wow that was a great post. I'm glad I took the time to read it and I'm glad you took the time to share.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real bitch of racism these days is that you often don't know what is coincidence and what is actual prejudice and hate. It's a situation where you have ten bad experiences and you know that they probably weren't all racism, but they seem to happen so often that something must be going on.

My dad is black and my mom is Persian (first generation immigrant). I grew up in a very homogeneous white neighborhood so, not surprisingly, I've experienced my fair share of racism.

I've been stopped by police multiple times while driving and walking. "Are you lost?" and "are you sure you're in the right neighborhood?" are common questions. My favorite was "what are you doing here?" Like it was some huge affront to society that I would actually dare to walk around the corner to the Jack in the Box.

I've had multiple teachers assume I was a trouble-maker and someone who needed to be watched over. I vividly remember one English teacher in particular who was particularly keen on interrogating me after lunch in front of my entire honors class. We often used to do plyometrics and pool training at lunch for basketball. I must've gotten some of the chlorine in my eyes because they were red. She questioned me for a couple minutes and then she remarked, "Oh, I thought for sure you were getting high behind the building."

On another day early in the quarter she had us go read outside because "it was such a wonderful day". I had left my book in my locker, so I went to get it on the way to the field. She stopped me in the hallway and proceeded to chew me out for trying to ditch class. After I told her I just went to get my book, she told me not to try to lie to her and that she wasn't born yesterday. If I tried anything like that again I would be suspended.

In another class I was really upset that I got a B- on the first test because I was a straight A student. The teacher pulled me aside and told me how proud he was that I got such a good grade. If I kept getting grades like that I might pass his class and get my diploma! This instance was pretty funny, but it was definitely very strange and I felt very stereotyped.

Now in all these instances and countless more I could never be sure that I was treated differently because of my race. Maybe I just look dumb and menacing, but it definitely makes you stop and wonder why you're getting so much unwanted attention.

Of course there was lots more overtly racist stuff going on. I literally have zero friends left from high school. Unfortunately, I saw my closest circle of friends from childhood grow up into bigots and I just can't stand being around them anymore. Since I am "different" and not like "normal black guys" they confided in me. Because, after all, I had to admit that "black guys are just plain dumber", and that I shouldn't be so sensitive when one of them calls me a nigg*r, and that blacks and Mexicans haven't contributed anything meaningful to this country. When they were in front of people they didn't know they would go back into their shell, but they didn't have to say "PC bullsh*t" around me.

I still remember the day when I was going to get a ride home with two of my best friends from elementary school through high school. One of them remarked how it was going to take longer to get home because they would "have to drop the [censored] off first". I don't think I've ever felt more hurt in my life. These are guys I grew up with, invited to my birthday parties, played sports with, studies with, etc. I decided to walk home that day and for the rest of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did Persians treat your mother knowing she was married to a black guy? Being Persian, I know that some Persians are the WORST when it comes to being biggots.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How did Persians treat your mother knowing she was married to a black guy? Being Persian, I know that some Persians are the WORST when it comes to being biggots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on which Persians you're talking about. Most of her family was pretty cool with it since they are largely Baha'is and see multiculturalism as a great thing. The Jewish wing of her family was a little less supportive, but they were more distant and came around after they found out my dad was a kick-ass Persian dancer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I think most of the bad stuff that she has heard has come from Persians she doesn't know well who haven't met my dad yet. They'll make random comments about black people that are pretty inappropriate. But, on the whole, most of the people she surrounds her self with were pretty cool with it.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around ten, I moved out to Lorraine County. This was a culture shock in the way of OP. There was no sidewalks, little traffic, and few black people. The new family I lived with was racist as could be, though they were in denial of it. I guess the main proof was their dog hated black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no proof, dogs and black people don't really get along.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Around ten, I moved out to Lorraine County. This was a culture shock in the way of OP. There was no sidewalks, little traffic, and few black people. The new family I lived with was racist as could be, though they were in denial of it. I guess the main proof was their dog hated black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no proof, dogs and black people don't really get along.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ignorant. Many Black people keep Rotweilers, Alaskan Huskies, and Doberman Pinchers, some of the meanest dogs that can be bread. These dogs in turn hate white people. Dog trainers have told me that dogs (pets in general) reflect their owners. A neurotic dog has a mean owner. A sad dog has a depressed owner. Yes, a mean dog has a mean owner, and a racist dog has a racist owner. I don't know, but I could tell you about the cat they named Ni****, your imagination could fill in the blanks.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Martin Luther King...... “I Have a Dream” August 28, 1963. - “I have a dream......that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always perplexed that the above quote is not how we naturally think as humans. Great post, Myrtle.

Growing up in NJ as an Italian kid I heard lots of negative comments from my cousins and neighbors about "sp*icks," "micks," "hebes" and "moolies." I never did understand how you can judge someone solely based on the color of his skin. I guess I need to thank my folks for that attitude.

I remember having my best friend from college visiting NJ with me over a holiday, and my cousin Mike coming up to me and asking why I would bring a [censored] to Thanksgiving dinner. Amazing.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Article in "The Australian" newspaper.

In Australia there is a town that has been fighting all the way to the UN to keep the name ES "[censored]" Brown attached to a non-descript grandstand in a minor sports ground.

The N word has no historical / racial significance in Australia. We have racism for sure, but we have our own words and terms. This word seems associated with the USA & UK.

The reason this guy had a nickname of "[censored]" is up for conjecture - it seems it was either to do with his extremely pale skin colour or shiny brown shoes. Doesn't really matter, does it.

Now the name of this grandstand has caused offence to some. Unfortunately, the main proponent of the push to remove the name is a known political activist - so the community was polarised. Like a lot of things - this whole issue could have been dealt with a better way, and the outcome would have been more satisfying for all concerned.

Instead, we have a local council defying UN orders to cease using the word. As harmless and historic it may seem to some, to others it is highly offensive.

There are plenty more links if you search for E S [censored] Brown. The guy was a very successful sportsman from the town who deserves to have his name linked to the sports ground. Seems like his nickname should've been dropped from all the signage some time ago.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A neurotic dog has a mean owner. A sad dog has a depressed owner. Yes, a mean dog has a mean owner, and a racist dog has a racist owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That would be weird if it were true. I don't believe you can make a racist dog. I just don't think it's possible.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM

A gay dog has a gay owner. This is all science, people.