Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: 10K LSAT YO?

[ QUOTE ]
You screwed yourself by giving your score so how about 20-1 for 1k and I'll consider.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no way I am a 20-1 favorite to get over 170. I know I was setting the line waaaaaay in my favor, perhaps anticipating that someone would bargain it down to a line that I felt was still +EV to me, but this is just ludicrous.

Anyway, not telling the truth about how I've scored would seem too much like a scam; or at least some sort of sandbagging angleshoot.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I've never taken an LSAT before, what are the odds I could get a 170 with one month's preparation?

I work 40 hours a week and will be working during this month.

Anyway care to wager?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM

You could take 3 practice tests and be at 170... lsat is like poker, after a while you just do it without thinking about it
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait what? There is a world of difference between 170 and say 175. When you move into the 170s you start talking about tenths of percentages of the test taking population- which sounds ridiculously small until you realize many of these people in the mid to upper 170s would never need any prep classes at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd have to imagine there's a fair amount of variance involved. Things like how you feel the day of the test, how many of the questions you encounter on the test just "click" with you quickly.

For instance, one friend of mine who never got above 169 on any practice exam got a 173. Another friend of mine who had scored 178-180 on several practice exams scored low-mid 170s.

So, what I'm saying is, even if I managed to get my expected score above 170, with a standard deviation of, say, 4-5 points, it would not be unlikely that I did worse.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could take 3 practice tests and be at 170... lsat is like poker, after a while you just do it without thinking about it

[/ QUOTE ]
The instructor used this analogy in the prep course. Probably because I always wear a FTP hat to class.

Edit: The plan is to take ~1.5 practice tests per day in the 10 days leading up to the exam. I have other [censored] to do in the 10 days before that, so I can only partially devote myself to LSAT training.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM

I'll prop bet you if you have to take the test writing with your off-hand or wearing a ski-mask the whole time or something fun like that. Obviously will have to post a vid or something to prove compliance. Or we could just pay someone to sit and watch you take it.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll prop bet you if you have to take the test writing with your off-hand or wearing a ski-mask the whole time or something fun like that. Obviously will have to post a vid or something to prove compliance. Or we could just pay someone to sit and watch you take it.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no way I would do all writing with my left hand. It's pretty much useless; hell, I even suck at typing with my left hand.

The ski mask is an interesting idea. I'd have to buy a ski mask, but I don't think it would have a huge effect on my score, assuming I kept myself hydrated.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:07 PM

Just looking for something more fun. I think a ski mas would prove very irritating, hard to concentrate, itchy, dehydrating, hot, weird-looking, etc. but I could be wrong. If we can come up with a good system for verification, I'd put up 1K probably on the ski-mask thing. But you couldn't take it off at all the whole time, obviously.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Do yourself a favor and score so low you lose all motivation to go to law school. I scored a 176 and my life has been one long nightmare ever since.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

Anyone who multitables, +EV, at online poker I can almost guarantee mid 160s with no prep. Half the test is timed, multiple choice logic games. Sounds familiar, no?

The reading comprehension parts might be a little tougher due to our general ADD, but there you go...

also

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wait what? There is a world of difference between 170 and say 175. When you move into the 170s you start talking about tenths of percentages of the test taking population- which sounds ridiculously small until you realize many of these people in the mid to upper 170s would never need any prep classes at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to imagine there's a fair amount of variance involved. Things like how you feel the day of the test, how many of the questions you encounter on the test just "click" with you quickly.

For instance, one friend of mine who never got above 169 on any practice exam got a 173. Another friend of mine who had scored 178-180 on several practice exams scored low-mid 170s.

So, what I'm saying is, even if I managed to get my expected score above 170, with a standard deviation of, say, 4-5 points, it would not be unlikely that I did worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is largely correct, IMO. Many of the logic games essentially reduce to a coinflip between the two best choices, and given the small sample size, pretty ease to be be somewhat far from your expectation. Also, as I mentioned above, the reading comp bit sucks. Especially since one of the sections is now hyper-technical (mine was something from a bio-mechanics textbook or something, GG liberal arts background...)

Variance: it was about 40 degrees in the classroom where I took mine, which I think cost me about 3 points.

Brag: Still in the 170s

Beat: Working as a lawyer many days is -LifeEV