Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Help me understand the deep back formation on short yardage?

[ QUOTE ]
If a team is going to hand the ball off in these situations, why not have a direct snap to the RB? Remove the QB and line up an extra FB/TE in the backfield to block. (Was it in TMQ that I read this?)

[/ QUOTE ]

A direct snap would preclude any possibility of a play action pass. Furthermore, there has to be an element of trickery in there since the QB would have to walk away from the center so the center can snap it to the RB. Finally, it's probably safer to do it traditionally because backs don't handle shotgun snaps too often. You want a big conversion to hinge on something that never happens as opposed to something that happens 350 times a year?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Was anyone else surprised that Seattle handed off to Alexander on their own 1 at the end of the game when he was the deep guy in the I backfield? I suppose they needed a 1st down since Dallas had 3 time outs, but still I expected a QB sneak there to at least get some breathing room for 2nd down - was half expecting a safety the way that game was going. Of course, he ripped off like a 30 yard run.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM

I don't know if you just saw that play that the Pats ran on 3rd and 1, but it worked pretty well. It was a clear hand off go straight up the middle, BIG formation(3 TE's in, I formation, no WR's). The Oline did their job, blocked everyone and Dillion found that there was no one outside protecting the sidelines. He was able to push forward for about 3 yards.

Thats why I like handing the ball off rather than sneaking it, you have a higher % chance of your O-line and RB making a play there.