Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Dear Bison February 2006: The Seed 2.0

Would you go to Bakersfield, CA for a job? If so, how much compensation would you require and how long would you be able to stay there? Assume the job would not start for a 6 months until after you graduate from school, in which time you could probably get a job in another location, but probably for not as much money and maybe not for as good of firm.

Dear Sack,

I don't like SoCal much, so I would require six-figures and a signing bonus. If I took the job, I'd expect to stay for 2 years.

If you have friends in the area, I'd say go for it, look for other work at the same time and be prepared to move if nothing else comes up.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Dear Bison,

should I become a facial plastic surgeon?
would require ~7yrs of training (includes 1yr research, 5 yrs residency training, 1 yr fellowship training). estimated to make ~$1mil+ per yr (depending on location, other factors obviously). would work very hard during residency & in early formative yrs to establish a practice and market myself to clientele.

or an anesthesiologist?
would require ~4yrs of training. (no research. 4 yrs residency.) estimated to make ~$350-500K. not working as hard as a surgeon. have more time to spend on outside interests/family.

[note: extra yr of pain management fellowship would allow earnings potential of ~$1mil -- but longer hrs, dealing with chronic pain patients all the time]

[another note: i think i could enjoy doing both. i enjoy being in the operating room ... doesnt matter on which side of the curtain. ive really enjoyed cutting people up while in the OR, but i'm not sure if that's just because its a cool new experience or because its something i have to do the rest of my life. also i feel as if people are more awestruck with surgeons than they are with other doctors ... which is kinda cool.]

At a Crossroads,
-DD
Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Is it ok if I ask multiple questions?

Assuming yes,
a) should I start doing book reviews in OOT, in the style of the film reviews, where I take suggestions from OOTiots?
b)why do I like smoking?
c)how can I milk my broken elbow to get some poon? I go to college.

Dear Ben,

1. Yes.
a) Yes.
b) Because it's a nice little high, it's a social drug and it won't kill you for a long time.
c) Assuming you're in a cast, just use it as the world's stupidest ice breaker. I'm not kidding.

If you can carry on a conversation after initial contact, the line "Hey, I'm Ben. I broke my elbow and I thought you might like to grab dinner sometime" should work a good portion of the time. Tell her it's doctor's orders.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Would you like to live in a chocolate city, or is there another flavor that you'd prefer?

Dear Bram,

Coffee flavored ice cream.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Dear Bison,

What's your take on the role of religion in a person's life?

I would be curious to see your rank of religions in order of preference (if you had to choose one). If you find nothing redeeming about any of them if you could state why that would be most helpful. Religions chosen below are listed in descending order by size (I left out agnostic/atheist). Of course feel free to comment on any religions/faiths I did not include below.

Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Chinese traditional religion , Buddhism, Mormon

Thanks.

-Al
Old 02-01-2006, 01:56 PM

How would you react if you got a girl back to your place after a date, your making out with her on the couch and she says "Let's not rush into things."?

Also, will the groundhog see his shadow tomorrow?

P.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Mortality troubles me. I've decided that I'm not going to die, ever. Any advice to help me on this quest?

Dear TME,

After you die, you won't be worried about mortality anymore, so it doesn't make sense to worry now. Keep living til you fail to keep living.

Dear Bison,

Will the cubs be contenders for the World Series this year? If not, do you think they will ever contend for the World Series.

Dear bison,

Should I go to grad school in Computer Science at Berkely in California, or should I go to the University of Chicago for an MBA?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:58 PM

thank you for the well thought out response, but i am merely looking for someone to tell me what to do, as i am not a man.

Dear Bob,

Keep playing poker. Ask again later.