Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Time to Go Pro?

Thanks for all the feedback. I will take everything into consideration. How I rate my job is that from a scale of 1-10, I give it a 6. Somedays the job could be interesting and somedays it can be downright boring. I don't necessary hate my job OR jump out of bed every morning to go to work.

How I rate my poker skills is that I feel that I'm among the best players playing in my local card room. People may feel that I'm egotistic by making this statement. My track records speak for itself, and other players really do not want me to sit at their table. With that said, I still see error in my game which I could improve on. I honestly feel that if I focus my attention to poker (fix my errors) I could easily make $300,000/yr. My current job requires alot of my attention due to the complex nature of the job. This leaves me tired to focus on my poker games say on a Friday night after spending 8 hours at work.

I'm leaning toward making the transition to go pro. I figure I'll give it a chance now so I really don't have anyting to lose. I don't mind being broke because I grew up poor (food stamps, free lunch). If it doesn't work out I think I can get a job back in engineering, maybe will need to take a paycut ~$65,000/yr or so. By making the transition, at least than I finally do it and stop wondering about playing pro.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Sounds like the right state of mind to me, and it also sounds like you are a pretty smart guy and, if it didnt work out, you could find plenty to fall back on. Good luck man.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:53 PM

we all wish you good luck. we'll be happy to hear how things have worked out in a couple months.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 PM

I agree with this. A lot. One problem if you have done well playing serious poker in your spare time is that it can be difficult to work for other people. What about starting your own business?

Jeff
Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 PM

Jeff,

I have thought about starting my own business and have been looking around. The problem is that I do not have a good business idea. I've been also looking at investing in real estate and aftering crunching some numbers on a few properties realized that the real estate market may not be better than investing in stocks/mutual funds.

p.s. Jeff, I have read numerous of your posts and respect your opinion.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Remember, playing many hours a week for a living will kill your excitement for the game. Wait until you go on a prolonged losing streak. It sounds like you haven't yet but it will come...and you will think all heaven and earth are against you.

Keep playing on the side and invest this "free money" in real estate, stocks or mutual funds or even a business. In ten years your money will be working hard for you while you are drinking Corona's on the beach instead of grinding it out with all the other fat stinky poker players. Then you can play the higher limits on the side... and get all the chicks like Antonio E.!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 AM

where do you play?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you played 15,000 hands or less all of last year..

how do you know you're a winning player?
would you be fine breaking even for 6 months?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could easily be a losing player, this is too little of a sample, good luck if you hit a tough stretch
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the comments JackHigh. I understand that the excitement may wear off as I play more. I have gone through a long stretch where I broke even for six months before. I know what you mean by feeling the whole world is against you. There was about a 30 hour stretch in there where I didn't hit a full house, flush or straight.

I have played poker on the side for awhile. I have invested in stocks/mutual funds and is looking into real estate now. I play in the highest limits already in my cardroom. I took a trip to Vegas and the highest limit they had was also 25, 50 (at the Bellagio)
Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM

There is a guy on FTP named FiftyOuts playing 200nl all the time, is that you?