Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

GREAT movies:
brokeback mountain, the squid and the whale, y tu mama tambien, motorcycle diaries, capote

i tend to like smaller movies as opposed to the hollywood blockbusters though.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 AM

Delete You, Me, and Dupree. It is just terrible in every way. Owen Wilson at his absolute worst. Hardly anything funny in the entire thing. Matt Dillon is incredibly annoying. Horrible cliché ending accompanied by an ridiculously over-dramatic Coldplay song. Just real bad.

On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, do watch Capote. Hoffman is very, very good and I liked the overall story quite a bit.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 AM

Ong bak - ridiculously bad acting by main character, and ridiculously bad plotline. However, decent supporting cast and some incredible martial arts sequences. I don't know if you've seen lots of martial arts movies but if you have only been exposed to the mainstream ones released in america this one may blow you away with its stuntwork.

Brokeback Mountain - how have you not seen this? incredibly good movie.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 AM

ed,
I know it's not Oscar or anything but man there are some shtty movies on the list. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, I agree with all your verdict basically for the movies I've seen (and regret doing so): Invincible, Evolution [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], Da Vinci Code, etc.

I think everyone should watch An Inconvenient Truth. I don't really like Al Gore but it was good of him to do something like this.

Do NOT see Narnia. I was dragged to see that crap and had never been more pissed at my friends and spending $10 and wasting a good 3 hours of my life. What piece of crap. $@%@#%^$@$!%^@Y%YU&$EHh and I saw it on the night that it came out, so there were bunch of nerds dressed up and everything so I was kind of psyched up, thinking maybe I'll like it! NOPE as you can tell i'm still bitter about my $10.

And from what I can tell, you're going to hate Brokeback Mountain. I watched it because all the Taiwanese people kept raving about how we should be proud of being Taiwanese after he won the Oscars. I saw it and I don't know why but I just never got into it at all. Lee Ang is a good director but this movie is too slow for me, and if Four Brothers/LoW are your type of movie, then I'd suggest you not watch this on a lazy day.

Oh, and I refuse to watch any movies with Kate Hudson in it ever since How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

All these movies seem recent so I'm surprised I don't see Devil Wears Prada on the list. You would be mildly entertained and fall in love with Hathaway afterwards. I don't have HBO but I'm checking the schedule right now and it has Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on HBO2! gogogo?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 AM

National Treasure > Da vinci code etc
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shopgirl

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is good - maybe better than the book, actually. The movie does some things right that the book could have done better. It may be more about focus, actually, and a different point of view in the movie and book.

Either way, it's a good movie and a good book - Steve Martin has some crazy talent.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 AM

the da vinci code - ok. I guess worth watching if you've read the book

lord of war - really really bad. awful.

the omen - if its the old one, yeah worth a watch i guess.

the assassination of richard nixon - Was trying but didn't really get there.

ong-bak the thai warrior - Mindless action fight scenes. But good mindless action fight scenes!

an inconvenient truth - It's not very well presented, and can get a bit boring, but I think it's an important film to watch.

y tu mama tambien - Very stylised, but good enough

brokeback mountain - Very very good

Cant really think now, but a film you DONT want to see is Elizabethtown...avoid like the plague!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Shopgirl was enjoyable, I saw it with my mom (ya, lame), and we have totally opposite tastes and both liked it.

The Weatherman is actually pretty decent, it got good critical reviews if that means anything.

The Squid and the Whale was excellent, I'd actually purchase that one, highly reccommended.

I also reccommend avoid Elizabethtown like the plague, the acting is horrible, the accents are laughable, Kirsten Dunst is so bad, same with Orlando Bloom.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 AM

Remove John Tucker must die. I can usually enjoy dumb teen films like this, but this was just bad, even on a flight.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
National Treasure > Da vinci code etc

[/ QUOTE ]

National Treasure is actually one of my favorite popcorn movies of the past 10 years. I really dug the fake history/adventure aspects of it. And Diane Kruger is really, really, really, really, really, really, really pretty.
Closed Thread