Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Cardinals kick field goal instead of going for TD, WTF!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
According to Easterbrook, Herm got slammed for not going for the tie.

[/ QUOTE ]

They weren't taking into account why you play the game.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM

yeah this was the worst call I've seen in a long time
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I agree with the general point of this thread:

Many coaches are scared of getting fired or taking heat and thus, make poor decisions which end up hurting their team.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I actually thought the first time when Miami went for it on 4th and 11 instead of kick the field goal earlier in the game was way way worse. Probably one of the worst decisions I have ever seen a coach make.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought the first time when Miami went for it on 4th and 11 instead of kick the field goal earlier in the game was way way worse. Probably one of the worst decisions I have ever seen a coach make.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chance that you miss that field goal and hand Pitt the ball 7 yards closer to a FG of their own > chance of making first down and/or at least handing Pitt the ball at line of scrimage > change of making field goal imo.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 PM

People on the Cards boards aren't even upset about this. They are upset at the poor clock management. 1:01 left with 1 timeout, and the Cards only get off 3 plays!

They get a first down, and instead of spiking it, they run another play. They gain 9 yards, but again they don't spike it, but run another play again, getting them to the 1 yard line, where they finally call a time out with 6 seconds left (even though there was a high likelihood of there being a booth review on that play). They get another play off, and it was broken up at the goal line, leading to the FG attempt.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People on the Cards boards aren't even upset about this. They are upset at the poor clock management. 1:01 left with 1 timeout, and the Cards only get off 3 plays!

They get a first down, and instead of spiking it, they run another play. They gain 9 yards, but again they don't spike it, but run another play again, getting them to the 1 yard line, where they finally call a time out with 6 seconds left (even though there was a high likelihood of there being a booth review on that play). They get another play off, and it was broken up at the goal line, leading to the FG attempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was bad no doubt. However I'm not sure it didn't work to their advantage. I really think the 49ers were surprised that they were stupid enough to not spike the ball (who knows if the pass to the 1 would've happened after a spike?)

On a related note, most teams spike the ball too much when the down is more important than the clock...obv. losing the down was meaningless in that spot.

Also I def. think that lame results-oriented media criticism plays a part in coach's decisions.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a penalty for delay of game right before that play, and the kicker drilled the ball right into the defensive line about 5 yards off the ground? Pittsburgh had also came up short and way wide from almost the same exact spot on the field the quarter before, those conditions were horrible for anything other than a chip shot field goal.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a penalty for delay of game right before that play, and the kicker drilled the ball right into the defensive line about 5 yards off the ground? Pittsburgh had also came up short and way wide from almost the same exact spot on the field the quarter before, those conditions were horrible for anything other than a chip shot field goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and the annoucers were talking about what a lucky break it was for the dolphins that they could now kick from one of the few spots where you could easily get your footing instead of in a mud pit. If they decided there was a 10% chance of making that field goal that is still better than going for it imo.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:50 PM

The Kentucky coaches made the exact same mistake this past Saturday against Tennessee.

UK was down 3 and had the ball on about 2 with 18 or so seconds left. THey ran a running play to get to the 1 and then called a timeout. They then threw an incomplete pass and there was like 3 seconds left, enough for 1 play.

So they kicked the field goal to go to OT, where they lost.

As you pointed out, OT will usually be a 50/50 deal (minor edge for the better team and possibly the home team) but surely your odds of scoring a TD from the 1 are far better than 50/50? Stupid.