Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Favorite Stage Musical

City of Angels.

To those who say Phantom....do you mean Phantom or do you mean Phantom of the Opera?

Josh
Old 08-05-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
City of Angels.

To those who say Phantom....do you mean Phantom or do you mean Phantom of the Opera?

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying Phantom of the Opera.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 PM

I've seen Phantom twice, once in London, once with the touring company, and although I respect the performances, the songs, the sets, and I can see why people love it, I really don't. It has to do with the characters themselves and my interpretation of what's going on.

Women seem to love it because it's so romantic. But lets face it, the Phantom is a psycho that kills people because he's obsessed with the one he loves, and he wants to imprison her too. Unforgivable in my book, not romantic, I don't care that he's some wounded soul. I have no sympathy for anyone in the musical, so despite everything, I just don't like it.

Now, if one looks a little deeper at the musical and spins it into a tale of Christine's descent into madness, where the Phantom is all in her mind and her fiances love for her rescue's her from a prison of her own making, I could like that. The story doesn't quite fit, but I find it much more palatable.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 AM

My Fair Lady at Trinity in Providence with two pianists on stage during the performance interacting with the cast. The guy who played Eliza's father almost made me forget Stanley Holloway, and one actor who played an English twit watching the race didn't utter a line, yet he nearly stole the show with his facial expressions.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:38 AM

a couple points...as an old fart, South Pacific and other R&H musicals were quite "out there" vanguard type of social commentary for their times...we have just progressed, thank heavens.

also, i just saw a musical play reading at the Phoenix Theater that was way up there on the poignant rating, and the music was excellent as well. "The Journey" is a play about a breast cancer survivor and wasn't overly sappy, but rather quite informative for any cancer victim or members of their families.

One of my personal favorites is the video "oliver" which i taught to several classes as social commentary as well as wonderful music.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM

I listened to the soundtrack of Les Miserables again yesterday, and so many good songs. But there's a small section of 'I dreamed a dream' that is just moving beyond any words.

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came
And still I dream he'll come to me
That we'll live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

In just 8 lines of song and in simple plain lyrics, we're given a vivid history and insight into what shaped this woman's life, and what she lives for now, hoping against all hope I think (despite those last 2 lines).
Old 08-19-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I listened to the soundtrack of Les Miserables again yesterday, and so many good songs. But there's a small section of 'I dreamed a dream' that is just moving beyond any words.

He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came
And still I dream he'll come to me
That we'll live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

In just 8 lines of song and in simple plain lyrics, we're given a vivid history and insight into what shaped this woman's life, and what she lives for now, hoping against all hope I think (despite those last 2 lines).

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ that is good. I haven't seen Les Mis in a long time.

I saw Julie Andrews in Victor, Victoria years ago, and it was first rate.

My favorite, however is a short-lived, critically panned musical called Working by Studs Terkel.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:40 AM

West Side Story is very far number one with Guys and Dolls next.

Odd ones I recall enjoying include the Doonesbury musical which I saw on Broadway as a kid, and until today have neither thought or heard of it in 20 years. Off broadway, I saw a version of Little Shop of Horrors that I loved...and I have always wondered if anybody ever saw Chess, and if they did, what the heck was going on with that...please tell.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:49 AM

I love musicals. Not sure what my fav is, but this thread made me realize there are lots of good ones I havenīt seen.

-Craig
Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 PM

POTA by far. The music is hauntingly beatiful. The story is a great story about a man and the woman he can't have.