Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: First hand gives me a bad image

[ QUOTE ]
Back to our regularly scheduled program -- so no-one check-raises the flop with 44? Or leads on the Ace turn?

I don't think it's that laggy. I think the check-raise is standard. I'm hoping he has AQ/AJ and it's a big pot. I admit the turn lead is questionable, because now I go from hoping he has AQ/AJ to hoping he has QQ/JJ/TT and won't overcall... but hey, it's a big pot (8 BB)!

[/ QUOTE ]

And you helped make it that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Not criticizing your play though on the flop or the turn. Obviously getting one of the players to fold a better hand is huge. Hand 1 is interesting. If an Ace or diamond doesn't come I assume you're still betting the turn. Knowing your players, making accurate reads turn this hand into a winner for you.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Hand 1 is a gr8 isolation play and is very profitable against readable opponnents.

The QJ hand is also fine. If Captain hits a 9, he's prob getting paid off by an AJ. Plus, if the river bricks, he got there for the same price w/out having to call twice. The turn raise is basically a raise w/ impunity. If he hits, hes got a shot to win extra bets. If he doesn't hit he gets to showdown. If he gets 3bet on flop, he was way behind anyway and pays the same price he would have otherwise had to pay. If the guy who bets the turn has a draw, then hero is charging him for it. And, sometimes a QJ will fold.++++++++EV

Gameover, i guess your location is accurate. hero is not playing 4/8 here. he's playing 20/40. two completely diff games. open your mind up a little.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM

makes lot of sense and im trying to improve. ty for post. i play way below the guy, hopefully i'll understand moves like this more in future.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:31 AM

raising the turn with QJ lets everyone play perfectly against you, with the only exception being that KJ, AJ and _maybe_ a [censored] two pair wont 3bet you.

if the river gets checked through, it's generally because you dont want it ot be. but you cant value bet because you've pushed you have basically the worse hand they'll give you credit for.

44 just check/fold if there are 'fish' involved.
there're too many obstacles to overcome. if the preflopraiser is weaktight, he generally wont make a cbet into a field of 4 with an unpaired hand. There's no promise he'll fold a hole pair below a K. And the supposed "fish" in between likely will be peeling with any pair (most of which are better) trying to improve. If you manage to get it heads up with the supposed 'fish', you're then in the weird situation of wondering whether you want to bet to make slightly better hands fold.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 is interesting. If an Ace or diamond doesn't come I assume you're still betting the turn. Knowing your players, making accurate reads turn this hand into a winner for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hand 1, after I check-raised I was planning on checking the turn if an A popped. Because then I am obviously way behind the button.

But when the A popped, this bright (idiotic?) idea came into my head that I had a shot to bluff the button off his hand if he didn't have an A/K. After all, I check-raised him on the flop and I'm STILL betting on an A/K board? It's hard for him to overcall with JJ/TT. After the hand, he said he would have called if it were heads-up, but he didn't want to overcall the fish.

Anyway, an interesting hand to me. I don't normally play this way on the turn, just wanted to pick some other people's brains.