Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Grade How Your Parents/Guardians Did

This is tough.

On the one hand, I was never abused in any way, never wanted for anything I needed. They have always been very generous with money and stuff.

But I've never had a serious conversation with them about anything significant in my life ever. Everything is all about how whatever I'm doing is wrong. So I stopped trying to tell them about stuff at an early age.

Now that I'm an adult, it's strictly chit-chat and small talk. I don't share anything with them and they don't really share anything with me. My mom even had a brain tumor not too long ago and she didn't want to tell me about it. My dad had to tell me.

I really don't feel much of anything for them at all. Most of the time, I would rather not speak to them.

I know this sounds really harsh and that I'm a total prick or something. There's much more to it though. Tough to really explain on an interwebs forum.

If I would have to grade them based on how I turned out as an adult on paper - B. If it's based on how I turned out emotionally - D or F.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

A+ easy
Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 PM

My parents both get rock solid A's in life.
My dad is the only normal one out of his 5 siblings, and we live in a 1.2 mil house in a suburb of D.C. with other houses around the country. My mom is the CFO of a defense systems contracting company. They have an incredible marriage and I've never once heard them fight. Not once.
So they clearly did pretty well for themselves.
They also have two children who are attending college for free (well, they're not paying for it), a child in high school and one in elementary school. As a testament to their character, they bought a house with two master bedrooms so my grandmother could move in with us, instead of putting her in a nursing home.
My mother had to take care of four children while my father was away on deployments (probably half of my life), and none of us are messed up. My father is the epitome of integrity, and still has an excellent sense of humor.
Overall, I think I won the genetic/family lottery, at least with my nuclear family (no offense to the extendeds, obv)
Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My dad is the only normal one out of his 5 siblings, and we live in a 1.2 mil house in a suburb of D.C. with other houses around the country. My mom is the CFO of a defense systems contracting company. They have an incredible marriage and I've never once heard them fight. Not once.
They also have two children who are attending college for free (well, they're not paying for it), a child in high school and one in elementary school. As a testament to their character, they bought a house with two master bedrooms so my grandmother could move in with us, instead of putting her in a nursing home.
My mother had to take care of four children while my father was away on deployments (probably half of my life), and none of us are messed up. My father is the epitome of integrity, and still has an excellent sense of humor.
Overall, I think I won the genetic/family lottery, at least with my nuclear family (no offense to the extendeds, obv)

[/ QUOTE ]

d.c. has houses worth 1 .2. mil [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 PM

You've never been to Georgetown Shadowrun?

I've got a question: With all of these A's, why are we all degens?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

d.c. has houses worth 1 .2. mil [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i said suburb; with 6 people living in the house, it's hard to get everyone their own bedroom and actually move closer to d.c.

townhouses in georgetown and alexandria go for 3-4 mil.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 PM

well my experiment might have failed/passed

i noticed that for you it seemed you were very proud of the Money (among other things) that your parents made, but not really any stories about the character (and the grandma was indirectly tied in with money as well)

i just wanted to see how a person/you would react to a comment like that.

p.s. this post probably makes no sense to anyone
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM

Still live with my parents as i'm 19, lazy and enjoy sky tv/good food/nice car/big house too much.

However.

I think they've done a good job.

The father has taught me most of what i know today, i put this down to him buying me a lot of books on castles, ships, science etc when i was young (thats what i was interested in). He is also very cynical as most middle class brits are and so i'm glad to have inherited that from him.

The mother hasn't taught me as much, but has taught me how to eat and live healthily and has a nice contrasting set of values to that of my father.

Both have stayed married, though both were married to different people before having me (the mother was married to a member of the russian mafia, and so i have her to thank for that cool anecdote).

I really can't fault them, and though currently i dont get on brilliantly with them due to my laziness in pursuing my ambitions, i cant say they're not trying their best with their nagging.

I give them an A.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 AM

A. Both my parents were born in the Depression and were raised on poor farms in Alabama. My father actually carried a pail (bucket) with a biscuit for his lunch at school. He had to actually go out when he got home from school and plow fields with a mule! Anyway when they married he got a job with a big aircraft company and worked his way up till eventually he owned his own small company and enabled my 2 bros and 1 sis to live a comfortable middle class upbringing with 2 parents who never argued in front of us and who were loving and involved in our lives. They taught us to be good compassionate people and to work hard at whatever we did.
Which is why they now live with my wife and myself in their old age and we totally are blessed having them with us.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 AM

My parents both get an A+.

They never made much money when I was growing up (income wise we were lower middle class at best) but my sister and I never wanted for anything. We had several great family vacations that didn't involve spending a ton of money, although we did go to disneyworld once. Our vacations were about being together, being a family. My father was a strict disciplinarian, and I am thankful for that. The only time both of my parents didn't attend one of my sporting events was if my sister was also playing at the same time. My parents taught me a strong work ethic, that hard work was the way to success. My parents taught me the importance of a good education. My parents taught me strong moral values, they taught me how to treat other people.

Was I the perfect child? Not even close. But the older I got the more I gravitated towards all the things I had been taught growing up. As my 40th birthday approaches (5 months away), more and more I see the wisdom in what my parents taught and how they went about teaching it. When something good (or bad) happens to me, I talk to my wife and then my parents. To this day I value their opinion greatly.

Not only are they great parents, they are pretty good at the grandparent thing as well. I will be a success in life if I turn out to be half the father my dad is.