Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Should God Make Sense?

NotReady,

The fact that you have no, or very little empathy, apparently for the suffering in the world by all sentient beings. It seems too easy and pure denial to me to say, it is all for the better, it will work out in the end, specially when there is absolutely no evidence for it. It is this state of denial, that I would accuse all believers in a benevolent god, of.

Of course, it does absolve you from any responsibility or urge to redress things, which attitude I find really offensive.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If God is beyond our understanding, I don't think there is any reason to prefer any given definition of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take that even further and say that if g-d is truly beyond our understanding (not a person in specific but the entire human race), then we have no obligation to such a g-d.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the question is about whether there is reason to doubt. you're trying to use the conclusion "there is no reason to doubt" as evidence that there is no reason to doubt!

[/ QUOTE ]

There's obviously no way someone can prevent doubt in someone who has free will. You're free to doubt, therefore you may doubt.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you have no, or very little empathy, apparently for the suffering in the world by all sentient beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You presume much.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your question, can He deceive you, is yes in terms of His power, if He wanted to, but not it's not true in terms of His character, He doesn't want to. He can't lie. But He might let you deceive yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
why can't he lie? what is it about his character that prevents him lying?

chez
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that you have no, or very little empathy, apparently for the suffering in the world by all sentient beings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You presume much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "apparently" not presuming anything but never having heard a modicum of a reason for the suffering experienced by innocent humans or animals alike. I am willing to leave aside those that have morally offended accorded to your opinion of morality.

Looking forward to your explanation of suffering by innocents in relation to theological benevolence, or are you thinking it is somehow alright (lack of empathy, imo)
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since you agree that god could deceive me if he wanted to, i have no way of telling the difference between a god who is deceptive and one who isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, even if NR doesn't admit it. NR & co. hope that their God exists, and is as they think he is. I and others hope that NR is wrong (on the 2nd point, mostly).

[ QUOTE ]
since i can't tell the difference by looking at any sort of evidence, i have to rely on what sort of god "makes sense" to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is an omnipotent god who could be deceiving you, then you can't rely on what "makes sense", since that could also be a deception. You just have to hope that a deceptive, evil god does not exist. If one does exist, then there's not anything you can do about it.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just have to hope that a deceptive, evil god does not exist. If one does exist, then there's not anything you can do about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why I have no hopes relating to god.

Also, why would you hope that notready's god does not exist?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why would you hope that notready's god does not exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a lot of people (including me) would be spending eternity in Hell.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you look at the evidence. Your question, can He deceive you, is yes in terms of His power, if He wanted to, but not it's not true in terms of His character, He doesn't want to. He can't lie. But He might let you deceive yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two questions:
1) How do you know all of these details about the Creator's character?

2) How do you know you aren't the one being deceived?