Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Taking it to the next level

Bear Mountain, victoria bc canada

Fastest/hardest greens I've ever been on

Edit: Oh, FWIW, I was able to hold the greens fine and back up a few wedges...they were just lightning fast/hard...but still fair (borderline on the speed though...)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM

The other thing that occurs to me that if 99% of your problem was putting on and adjusting to unfamiliar super fast greens (doesn't really seem like a "problem")-- it might indicate a course management issue of identifying the right place to put it on the green?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Nah, I was putting the ball in all the right places...and I'm generally very good at adjusting to new greens (I spend an hour on the practice green of any new course)...but for whatever reason, I just didn't have it at all that day...so I was very frustrated because I felt that something like -3 was very possible for me on a new course (for me) and tough conditions...saw it as a great test for me.

So, since it was such an oddity (IMHO), I don't see that as a big problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Give the lesson to someone else?

Seems to suck that other guy can't reschedule.

Good luck in any case.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:38 PM

LOL...I really 'could' but I'm not going to pass up a free shot...I posted here to try to go as prepared as possible and maybe find something that I KNEW I needed to work on to maximize his help...but I guess I'll just go, have him watch me, and talk and see if something pops up.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 PM

maybe you can help me, I am not near as good as you but am working on getting to scratch. My best score so far is a 77 on a par 72.

When you say you usually hit all swings besides the driver 3/4 can you expand this thought? It seems like something like that would work for me as I usually take the more lofted club and hit it harder rather than the lower one and swing smoother.

So say you hit a 7 iron 180, and a 8 iron 170 and a 9 iron 160. (normal swings)

what club would you choose for a 170 yard shot, no wind?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:50 PM

I'd say go to the lesson and tell him how good everything is and when he points something out tell him "no, I'm solid there." That'd be a useful half hour and a replica of this thread. From what I read, you need to become a better putter. Don't excuse a bad day as just that, if you want to get better and you're a scratch right now it takes a lot of work to improve.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually take the more lofted club and hit it harder rather than the lower one and swing smoother.

what club would you choose for a 170 yard shot, no wind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful here. If you want to hit consistent 3/4 shots you must only shorten the arch of your swing (take it back shorter) and keep the same aggresive move through the ball. Swinging "smooth" or "hard" leads to a ton of inconsistency.

Hit a club longer and take it back shorter. Make 3/4 shots a part of whatever practice you do on the range.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say go to the lesson and tell him how good everything is and when he points something out tell him "no, I'm solid there." That'd be a useful half hour and a replica of this thread. From what I read, you need to become a better putter. Don't excuse a bad day as just that, if you want to get better and you're a scratch right now it takes a lot of work to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think you are taking things very seriously with that post. Putting is really one of the stronger points of my game, and I work on it a lot. That one day on PGA quality greens was an anomoly...so I don't think that automatically means I need to work on my putting (in a global sense) because I'm a +2 cap at my home course and make putts very often from 10-20'.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 PM

If you have no problem being a +2...you have zero problems with your game.