Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Button issue at Party (multi tablers)

[ QUOTE ]
I played 36 speed SNGs (6-tabling) today and lost buttons twice. I've been away from poker for two weeks and come back to this total mess. It's atrocious that they've seemingly let this bug exist for over a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, nothing personal, but I think it's even money that this bug will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get fixed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would this have to do with available cpu memory?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is to do with how many "Handles" your machine can handle (pun is accidental).

Handles are addresses to system resources. Every time a resource is needed (eg. to display a chip on a table) a Handle is created for it. Good programmers will release the Handle after it is no longer needed (eg. when the hand is over; and certainly when the table is closed). PP's programmers do not release Handles.

If you fire up Task Manager, under the Performance tab, you'll see how many Handles are in use. On my machine typically 15,000. When I start playing on PP that rises inexorably. When it gets to about 1.5 million all sorts of things start going wrong, including buttons disappearing.

The only way to reset it is to close the PP software entirely (which causes the operating system to release ALL the Handles allocated to that application).

If you watch Task Manager while you are playing, you'll probably find that your problems start occurring at roughly the same number Handles (depending on the configuration of your machine).

On my m/c, I've learnt to exit PP shortly after I get to about 1.25 million Handles (at the next convenient time).
Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 AM

I play 4-6 tables and I don't recall losing buttons ever. But software is slow as hell and my CPU usage is at 100% most of the time and PA Hud lacks badly too. It sucks A LOT.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is to do with how many "Handles" your machine can handle (pun is accidental).

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were to build a PC, what would I want to optimize so that it could handle all these handles as well as possible?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Handles are addresses to system resources. Every time a resource is needed (eg. to display a chip on a table) a Handle is created for it. Good programmers will release the Handle after it is no longer needed (eg. when the hand is over; and certainly when the table is closed). PP's programmers do not release Handles.

If you fire up Task Manager, under the Performance tab, you'll see how many Handles are in use. On my machine typically 15,000. When I start playing on PP that rises inexorably. When it gets to about 1.5 million all sorts of things start going wrong, including buttons disappearing.

The only way to reset it is to close the PP software entirely (which causes the operating system to release ALL the Handles allocated to that application).

If you watch Task Manager while you are playing, you'll probably find that your problems start occurring at roughly the same number Handles (depending on the configuration of your machine).

On my m/c, I've learnt to exit PP shortly after I get to about 1.25 million Handles (at the next convenient time).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have taken multiple screenshots when this problem has happend to me. Most of them are with my windows task manager displayed right in the middle of my screen.

It does not appear to be a problem with these "handles." As there are no more handles during the time my buttons disapper, than when I am not even running Party Poker. (under 7K)

My system is completly fine, and I have never had this type of problem before, yet it continues to happen. Party support told me multiple different things, none of which seemd to make sense. They will not admit that it is a problem with the software, and keep telling me my internet is randomly disconnecting for 1 single hand, then reconnecting (BS). They have also told me to turn my grafix acceleration down, which I did, and I am STILL having this problem.

I hope they fix this problem soon, or else they will lose many high volume customers.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Tried 9 tabling SnG's today and lost buttons 4 times in 2 hours, so annoying ...
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM

i got a 2gb celeron, 1.5gig RAM, and radeon 9800pro graphics card.
pretty modest, but I 7-tabled the monster tables fine today
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM

It doesn't matter what system you have. It's a software issue.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM

I've played probably 75 tourneys with no problems on an older machine (4-6 tables). However, I play at empire instead of party, so I'm wondering if empire is safe from the disappearing buttons problems or not.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It does not appear to be a problem with these "handles." As there are no more handles during the time my buttons disapper, than when I am not even running Party Poker. (under 7K)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting GutPunch. In light of your information I am guessing that there is a new cause of the missing buttons (in addition to the experiences I had). I guess the new cause - whatever it is - is triggered faster, given the number of people experiencing it so soon after the upgrade.

My "Handles" explanation is probably irrelevant then.

Sorry I couldn't help.