Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: USA today story on bots, poker and money laundering

[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys are reading too much into this story. The article isn't referring to bots that player poker, rather bots that money dump. Money dumping from stolen credit cards is prevalent, and has increased with the passage of the UIEGA.
The article sounds much worse to someone who understands poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone who understands this explain it? I don't get why people who steal CC's need bots to launder money. Seems like it would be pretty easy to just have a human do it. I must not be understanding something about this.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 AM

You can't buy stuff with a stolen CC in a 3rd world country, but you can probably cash a check from a poker site. The guys with stolen CCs use them to fund fake poker accounts, and then dump the money to the scam account. This account then withdraws via check and POOF - fradulent credit card transactions just became gambling winnings.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't buy stuff with a stolen CC in a 3rd world country, but you can probably cash a check from a poker site. The guys with stolen CCs use them to fund fake poker accounts, and then dump the money to the scam account. This account then withdraws via check and POOF - fradulent credit card transactions just became gambling winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many infamouns scams using "delivery parties" to accept purchased items and using them to trans-ship the goods.

As I posted to the article, unless you set up the scam to seat your human with the off-shore account at a table with a good number of his dumping bots, all the honest player are going to severly cut into their profits.

There are many ways to move stolen money by converting it to some form of goods or cash to off-shore account. IMO, this might go on but it has got to be one of the dumber ones tried.

D$D
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that part, I just don't understand why you need a bot to accomplish this.