Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Do I go visit a guy who was wrongly accused and spent 21 yrs in jail?

You should go rape him.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Do I go visit a guy who was wrongly accused and spent 21 yrs in ja

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats to this guy on hopefully suing the government for millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this happens in Texas the Gov. and it's officials are immune. You get nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this docu they said they passed a law compensating people like this. I don't know how much tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the state. Alot of states dont have compensation statutes. The best thing you could do is use any connections you have to help get him a job. Some states dont expunge the record right away and even if they do the exoneree has to explain a 21 yr gap in employment history. Most employers cant get past the stigma attached. I have been very involved with the Innoncence Project Clinic at my law school and believe it is a very worthy cause. Spending 21 years in jail is one of the scariest things I can imagine happening that doesnt involve death. Anything you could do will be appreciated Im sure. Find out if their is a compensation statute and if there isnt write your state representative.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man was compensated. Although I doubt any amount would be worth it.

They said this man was the first man in Tn to receive this compensation.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Do I go visit a guy who was wrongly accused and spent 21 yrs in jail?

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0358/1017/NEWS
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM

"In 1979, McMillan, who is black, was charged with raping a 16-year-old white girl and robbing her date in a Memphis park. She identified McMillan during a police lineup."

Talk to this girl instead...And by talk to her of course i mean kill her
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM

During a taped interview one of the guys there was asked to identify the person who raped the girl all the guy said was he was black and they all look the same in the face.

How could the defense not have ripped that up later in the trial?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery

[/ QUOTE ]

-At age eighteen, Avery pled guilty to burglarizing a bar and was sentenced to ten months in prison.

-When he was twenty, Avery and another man pled guilty to animal cruelty after pouring gas and oil on Avery's cat and throwing it into a fire; Avery was sentenced to prison again for that crime.

-In 1985, Avery was charged with assaulting and flashing his cousin and possessing a firearm as a felon

of course go by his place. im sure the guy loves unannounced visitors stopping by and saying hi. what animal-torturing, gun-toting, bar-burglarizing, sexual perpetrator wouldnt?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-At age eighteen, Avery pled guilty to burglarizing a bar and was sentenced to ten months in prison.

-When he was twenty, Avery and another man pled guilty to animal cruelty after pouring gas and oil on Avery's cat and throwing it into a fire; Avery was sentenced to prison again for that crime.

-In 1985, Avery was charged with assaulting and flashing his cousin and possessing a firearm as a felon

of course go by his place. im sure the guy loves unannounced visitors stopping by and saying hi. what animal-torturing, gun-toting, bar-burglarizing, sexual perpetrator wouldnt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that since you read the wiki link that you would realize that the person the OP was talking about and the linked person are two completely different people.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats to this guy on hopefully suing the government for millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this happens in Texas the Gov. and it's officials are immune. You get nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this docu they said they passed a law compensating people like this. I don't know how much tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

21 years is a lot of free meals yo, like 500 or something.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that since you read the wiki link that you would realize that the person the OP was talking about and the linked person are two completely different people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thanks Iggy... I was just about to clear this up. I posted the link to Steven Avery (recent Wisconsin case), because the conviction, time in prison, and subsequent release after proven innocent were all very similar to the OP's guy.

Turns out, Avery was still a menace to society, and I was implying that the OP guy may not be too great either. Just because he got falsley accused, doesn't mean he's a freaking saint; however, he might be a great guy, I dunno, but after our (Wisconsin's) guy, I don't really trust these guys.

FWIW, Avery only got like $400,000 from Wisconsin for his time in prison. I may be mistaken, but its was something like that.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Any relation to Sean Avery?