Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: The Dumbing Down of America

mason,

knowledge isn't brainpower, it's memory. when people had to work out problems without a guide it probably did make them smarter even if they came up with fewer answers. regardless I think brainpower is way less important having good work habits and learning to use resources when they're available.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Agree with almost everything you wrote - but I'd be a bit careful about the high school dropout thing.

Back then, if you were a pain in the ass, disruptive, or just didn't feel like doing the work, you'd be held back a year, or you might be asked to leave - and if you decided to leave, noone came looking for you.

Those days are long gone. If you have a pulse, you're gonna pass. A high school diploma at one time meant the person who earned it could read, write, and do some math. Not any more......

In passing, if I see a patient over 8 in the ED who is bright, articulate, and respectful, I ask if they are home schooled. Most of the time, they are.....

MM MD
Old 05-07-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calculator instead of Pen and Paper
GPS Navigation instead of a Map
Spell Checker instead of a Dictionary

[/ QUOTE ]

all of these things are really awesome
Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 PM

I consider myself very bright. But I can't maintain my own car, I can't diagnose my own illnesses (with a high degree of confidence), I can't grow my own food or brew my own drinks. And frankly, although it might be fun to learn how, I have better things to do.
There is nothing wrong with specialization (to a degree).

I can do long division, but would I rather use a calculator? Of course. I can rummage through my shelves to find a map of the city, but would I rather google "mta nyc map," or god forbid, use Mapquest? Of course. I know how to find the word "sanctimonious" in the dictionary, and I can spell it correctly without much trouble (Hooked on Phonics!), but I have better things to do than worry about the spelling of a word when a spell-checker can do it for me.

Modern conveniences don't dumb people down any more than the printing press did (props to the above poster who first used this analogy).

I have to agree that the biggest factor is a culture of (intellectual) mediocrity. People grow up wanting to be a Rap mogul, NFL Quarterback, American Idol, or Survivor.
Not to rag on entertainment completely, shows like Myth Busters, Bill Nye, sites like HowStuffWorks show that there is still a strong undercurrent of curiosity in this country. I place the blame mostly on a lackluster national policy towards education (basically none). Not enough talented teachers are fostering children's natural curiosity. When teachers are boring, and movie stars are fun, it's easy to see why kids grow up shunning intellectual pursuits.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Triumph wrote " I also write better than 95% of people..."

Don't kid yourself buddy.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Triumph wrote " I also write better than 95% of people..."

Don't kid yourself buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol whatever dude - if you think it's any lower than 90%, you're insane. when i dominate the writing GREs I'll come back and post my score - i'm sure it'll be in the 90th percentile or higher.

i really wish there were some sort of prop bet i could make on this.

ps that's the subjunctive mood
Old 05-07-2007, 08:30 PM

When I refer to quality writing I'm not talking about Charles Dickens or Shakespeare and I'm not talking about Ye Olde Middle English. Jesus Christ.

I'm talking about breadth of vocabulary, sentence structure, ability to use metaphors, and overall clarity of thought.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I refer to quality writing I'm not talking about Charles Dickens or Shakespeare and I'm not talking about Ye Olde Middle English. Jesus Christ.

I'm talking about breadth of vocabulary, sentence structure, ability to use metaphors, and overall clarity of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how grammar/syntax/great use of the language should be placed higher up than any other random thing you are taught to memorize in school. As long as you can convey your point concisely, i see no need to read Shakespeare to be considered intelligent.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I claim any of those things?

You're obviously not in the 95th percentile of readers.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Something we stupid people like to do, just for [censored] and giggles, is provide the thinnest [censored] smidgen of evidence to support the [censored] that spews unbidden from our collective gaping maws. You wanna slum for a minute here and try that out?

Didn't you say you were leaving this thread after mason hurt your feelings middle of last page? Take your ball and go home, [censored].