Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: An Interesting Example of Markets, Information, Responsibility

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I find disturbing is that (apparently) consumers are so concerned about food quality that they MUST have food with no transfats at all costs (borne by others, in fact) and when it comes to the potentially beneficial properties of their food an advertisers education via sloganeering is required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that food safety is important enough to you to research it. With this in mind, prior to the last several years, when trans fats became the hot new media topic, did you have any idea what they were?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. When I was told that they were important, and became as informed as I deemed necessary, I started researching to the extent I thought necessary when buying prepackaged foods.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you find this disturbing. Advertising is there, in part, to inform the consumer of why they should buy your product. "Chock-full of healthy polyphenols" is a perfectly legitimate way to achieve that end. And I don't know about you, but I certainly need someone to explain to me what's healthy and what's not (at least in the realm of polyphenols).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asked and answered above - it's not that I object them saying "it's got the following good thing in it", it's that they have made it clear that they don't expect to people to bother to figure out why/if that thing is actually good.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that Lipton is doing something "illegitimate" by advertising in this way. I am merely dismayed that consumers are (apparently) so lazy that they are expected to take advertisers word at face value.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??? Don't you think "we" SHOULD be DOING something??? ZOMG DO SOMETHING WHAT SHOULD BE DONE!!!!! GAAAAHHHH THE SKY IS FALLING PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!!!

DO SOMETHING!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Asked and answered above - it's not that I object them saying "it's got the following good thing in it", it's that they have made it clear that they don't expect to people to bother to figure out why/if that thing is actually good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they care if someone actually takes the time to research polyphenols? Maybe I'm just missing something, but I dont understand what you are getting at here. Again, I think you are reading a little more into this ad than there is.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I find disturbing is that (apparently) consumers are so concerned about food quality that they MUST have food with no transfats at all costs (borne by others, in fact) and when it comes to the potentially beneficial properties of their food an advertisers education via sloganeering is required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that food safety is important enough to you to research it. With this in mind, prior to the last several years, when trans fats became the hot new media topic, did you have any idea what they were?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. When I was told that they were important, and became as informed as I deemed necessary, I started researching to the extent I thought necessary when buying prepackaged foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you know how much research you "should" do? It's impossible to know!!! ZOMG I can't figure out how to wipe my ass because I'm not sure how much time I SHOULD spend comparing toilet paper to find the "right" one!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. And I also assume you did the research when the media first told you they were a bad thing.

The media, however, has roundly ignored polyphenols, just like it's roundly ignored any one of a number of other chemicals in food. (Take your pick, really.) Without media involvement, how does the consumer arrive at the necessity to research this in the first place?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without media involvement, how does the consumer arrive at the necessity to research this in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

He sees the term on an ad in the subway and says "wtf is that?"
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they care if someone actually takes the time to research polyphenols?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if they know that people won't research it then their ad may be ineffective. That's why they need to qualify their statement "we have polyphenols" with "they're good for you, trust us."

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I dont understand what you are getting at here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only conceivable reason that they would add the qualifier "that means it's good for you" is if they have reason to believe that consumers won't research why the thing they are claiming is in the product is a reason to buy the product. I think that they are probably right, and I think it's a statement about the lack of individual responsibilities assumed by consumers in general.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you find this disturbing. Advertising is there, in part, to inform the consumer of why they should buy your product. "Chock-full of healthy polyphenols" is a perfectly legitimate way to achieve that end. And I don't know about you, but I certainly need someone to explain to me what's healthy and what's not (at least in the realm of polyphenols).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, I'm not saying that Lipton is doing something "illegitimate" by advertising in this way. I am merely dismayed that consumers are (apparently) so lazy that they are expected to take advertisers word at face value.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??? Don't you think "we" SHOULD be DOING something??? ZOMG DO SOMETHING WHAT SHOULD BE DONE!!!!! GAAAAHHHH THE SKY IS FALLING PEOPLE ARE STUPID!!!!!!!

DO SOMETHING!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

FALLING???!!! What's falling? The buildings??? tHe BuILdINGs ArE FALLING!!!! ZOMG! Run for the BUILDING shelters!!!! WHAT? THERE AREN'T ANY!!! WHY HAVEN'T WE BUILT ANY???!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because if they know that people won't research it then their ad may be ineffective. That's why they need to qualify their statement "we have polyphenols" with "they're good for you, trust us."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are putting the cart before the horse here. An advertisement is usually projected to be at least somewhat effective. I'm almost certain that market research told this company that promoting the healthy qualities of their product would make for an effective ad. At the end of the day, they dont care who researches it and who doesnt, only that they at least got the attention of the largest audience possible.

[ QUOTE ]

The only conceivable reason that they would add the qualifier "that means it's good for you" is if they have reason to believe that consumers won't research why the thing they are claiming is in the product is a reason to buy the product. I think that they are probably right, and I think it's a statement about the lack of individual responsibilities assumed by consumers in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think the "qualifier" is a weak attempt at humor.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Mosdef, some things to consider:
If the ad doesn't make sense to you or causes you anger, then you may not be the target market for the ad.

And I'm curious, did you know what a polyphenol was when you saw the ad? If not, did you look it up later? Because it seems to me that the part that's bothering you is the attention grabber and it seems to have worked well on you (and now us).