Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Value of HUDs and of table selection

According to your other recent post regarding revamping your 6-max game, you struggle at the middle limit shorthanded games. Table and seat selection is CRITICAL to your success in the mid-limit shorthanded games on Party.

[ QUOTE ]

How much would you estimate that having no HUD and exercising no table selection to speak of costs me on average, playing Party $10/20?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would venture a guess that "exercising no table selection" is costing you quite a bit in terms of opportunity cost. Why sit at a random table, when an HUD will allow you to pick the better seats?

Seriously - do as others have mentioned, drop $900 on a good PC, and start using an HUD.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 AM

Why not use pokertracker when you're not playing and export notes?

Most of the advantages of HUD without slowdown being a problem.

Unless you play all the time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez
Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously, a $600 PC will make your poker playing experience much more enjoyable + profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention you'll live longer, and probably tilt less after your have lag problems and time outs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
intel based macs. the new best way to run windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

no

a $300 PC will be plenty for just playing poker
Old 08-12-2006, 05:25 PM

I hate to harp on the windows computer thing, but they are right. The reads from HUD for multi-tablers are incredibly useful. Make the investment in a Windows computer. I used to use Mac's and I'm glad I did.

Unless you have been running incredibly poorly for some time and unless you have philosophical objections to MS's business practices, etc, it is much less hassle to just get a windows computer to run poker apps. An e-machine, a cheapie Pentium 4 computer can be purchased for around $450 at WalMart or online. That's one example. There are others.

I guess since I see you as a veteran poster to THIS forum it is hard to imagine not being able to afford such a thing, or being able to charge one on a credit card until you run well again. The interest charge will be returned to you in winrate in no time. Virus protection is another $50. I used to be a Mac user but going to the dark side and getting Windows will make your life easier.

Anyway good luck with your decision. PAHUD is awesome and a realtime godsend.

PS BTW, where would we all be without Pokertracker, as you call it a, "poorly written bit of software??" Perhaps you don't care about such matters but a LOT of well-meaning people here would vehemently disagree.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Poorly written software?? ummm.... no. You are trying to run non-native software using another piece of software to emulate an operating system. Do you really expect it to breeze along? PT and PA are both very well written pieces of software in terms of memory management and processer usage.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:18 PM

PT is poorly written, PA is not.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Nobody said it, & it doesn't help much but i'll say it anyway. Fulltilt has a Mac client.

[ QUOTE ]
poorly written bit of software

[/ QUOTE ]
It's slow/isn't multi-threaded (other than that with PAHUD, it's the Bee's Knee's)
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poorly written software?? ummm.... no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clear things up, my "poorly written" comment referred to the poker clients, not PT and PAHUD. The Party client sucks up far more resources than it needs to. Crypto and Prima are incredible in that respect too. Just amazinly badly done.

Stars is pretty sleek though.

Guy.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You must have a tough time using these boards sometimes without understanding the stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I was using these board before there was (much) online poker and I am obstinate. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Obviously this thread is part of my personal re-evaluation stemming from recent poor play and results. I have always known that not using the HUDs would be a disadvantage. The question is how much of a disadvantage.

I don't think that using HUDs will allow me to play more than two tables. I simply can't watch the action (e.g. I don't remember who raised preflop when the flop comes down) at more than two. So the question is whether the HUD will enable me to play two tables more accurately.

As it happens, I have windows running lightning fast on an Intel mac now. I'll install PT on there and use it for poker for a while, and report back.

Mrs McSucker won't be happy. It's in the other room and she likes to be near me when I play. Isn't that sweet?

Guy.