Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: \"You\'re Freaking Crazy\"

She's honestly not exaggerated here, but of course you are only hearing my side. As I have said at the beginning, I actually think I am very lucky and we agree on most things. This is just one of those where we didn't jibe. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ray
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Interestingly enough, anything can become a "curse word". SpongeBob uses "tartar sauce" and "barnacles" a lot, and as a consequence, the kids use them too when they're frustrated. It seems just like we have a list of "go-to" words in our heads that we use in certain situations, and those are the words we use. Same emotions being expressed, just different words.

For anyone who doesn't think that kids don't know about cursewords, just watch the SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob and Patrick get caught using "colorful" language enhancers. (Mr Krabs tells them there are 14 words they should never use and SpongeBob corrects him to say there are only 7. Mr Krabs reminds them he was once in the Navy, so there are 14.) It's pretty funny to insert your own words in the bleeps and to try to imagine what the other seven words are. I'm sure there's a secret uncensored version somewhere that's got to be hilarious.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Ray, I think I misused the word there...I just meant that in this case, her response seems a bit unnecessary and a bit too much. I mentioned it just to show an example of learning how not to misstep in future parenting (huge overreaction). But, admittedly, even your wife's response here isn't entirely unheard of or absurd...So it was not only a poor use of diction, but a poor comparison on my part. Heh.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Haha! This topic made me wince. I made the mistake of using the "freaking" word in my mom's presence. Big mistake. After a moment of silence I get this back "Please do not swear Katy. I cannot tolerate it." Say what? Isn't "freaking" the polite form of [censored], sort of like gosh is to God, or darn is to damn? I remember thinking at the time, you have got to be freaking kidding me!

I think your wife's just trying to establish good rules for your kids and teach them to be polite and for that I really commend her. She's probably concerned that your son may accidently say it at school and get in trouble with a teacher or something.

The kids are really young, right? It sounds like your wife is a great mom and conscientious so I say don't buck her. Respect the wife RayPowers!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Tell her she's freaking crazy.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 PM

Solo,

you're right. i got the terms mixed up. clearly it can be used as a gerund. i was thinking of the group that's limited to "a", "an", and "the"
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Personally, i think that the specific words people use are less important than intent. I think telling someone to shutup is a lot worse than using many swear words. I tend to agree that if you don't want your kids saying f$ck, then you shouldn't have them saying freaking either. I personally feel like it is more important to have kids be respectful. That said, I don't curse around little kids. It's just how I was brought up. I don't say freaking or things like that either. When I'm not around little kids, I curse like a sailor.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Ditto. Freaking is the weirdest ever. I thought frickin' and friggin' were a little off, but freaking sounds like the same thing once removed. Which just starts to get retarded.

I agree that kids should have emphasized to them that they choose the right word. It's hard to think as well without a good vocabulary to really nail down what you're trying to say. And they say it's the thing most closely related to future success in life. In general, stressing the importance of education is likely going to form good lifelong values and habits.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The kids are really young, right? It sounds like your wife is a great mom and conscientious so I say don't buck her. Respect the wife RayPowers!

[/ QUOTE ]

My kids are 4 (well, will be 4 on saturday) and 5. I haven't overruled her in front of the kids, or even close, but I think having discussions like this on things we disagree on help us to see each other's opinions and compromise on things in the long term.

And it made for a fun 2+2 thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ray
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM

pryor, Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to call you out or anything as much as refresh my memory sort of. 'a' 'and' 'the' are definite articles I think. (Another attempt to refresh this old soul's memory [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

And yeah Ray, I just want to say, I think this is a really good thing to have a disagreement on. I think it is just a case of some healthy parenting where you disagree on something...healthy. At least you're not going to be fighting about it or anything like that. So I am glad to hear about this "disagreement" because it reminds me there are some good parents out there still. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And yeah, very good Lounge topic I'd say. Haha.