Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Illinois Illini mascot to make final appearance tonight

Good post, MT2R.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its funny, I thought you were on the correct side of the argument when you started saying things like, "It is unthinkable that we would have teams named the "Alabama Blacks" or the "New York Jews,"" As yes, there is no comparison btwn the New York Jews and the Fighting Illini. Teams are named after Indian tribes or Indians in general out of respect and perceived toughness - that isn't a bad thing. Do you have a problem with the New York Yankees, NE Patriots, LA Dodgers, SD Padres, Texas Rangers, UMASS minutemen, WV Mountaineers, etc? All these teams are named after a small grouping of the regions inhabitants out of respect for that grouping. It is equally commendable to name a team after a respected Indian tribe from the region, is it not?

PS I have no idea why the San Diegoians decided to name themselves after spanish missionaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of the nicknames you used as examples are a race or tribe of people.

UofI is an interesting topic though because there are good arguments on both sides. Compared to the Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins, which are absolutely atrocious and an embarrassment for professional sports.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM

I agree with Mikey...there are legit arguments for both sides

unfortunately, the debate in town has polarized the camps (as most debates end up doing). Any room for a middle ground disappeared at least 10 years ago.

I am very much against the Washington Redskins name
I am against Chief Wahoo.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 PM

MT2r, through your posts, I've changed my thought on UofI using Illini or Fighting Illini as their nickname. (I agree that it honors the tribe.)

However, I still don't like the idea of a white guy dressing up as a Native American performing dancing rituals at half time of a football or basketball game. Offensive or not, it really just doesn't seem appropriate.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UofI is an interesting topic though because there are good arguments on both sides. Compared to the Cleveland Indians or Washington Redskins, which are absolutely atrocious and an embarrassment for professional sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. they ought to go, but it's easier to go after college teams.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I still don't like the idea of a white guy dressing up as a Native American performing dancing rituals at half time of a football or basketball game. Offensive or not, it really just doesn't seem appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely understand that. I wish the two sides could have came together and worked out a compromise such as
1) tone down the dance
2) have an actual native-american come out to midfield and lead the stadium in a rendition of the alma mater
3) put more money into native-american studies department and scholarships for native-americans from depressed communities

unfortunately, the debate got too ugly and no side was willing to concede anything
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its funny, I thought you were on the correct side of the argument when you started saying things like, "It is unthinkable that we would have teams named the "Alabama Blacks" or the "New York Jews,"" As yes, there is no comparison btwn the New York Jews and the Fighting Illini. Teams are named after Indian tribes or Indians in general out of respect and perceived toughness - that isn't a bad thing. Do you have a problem with the New York Yankees, NE Patriots, LA Dodgers, SD Padres, Texas Rangers, UMASS minutemen, WV Mountaineers, etc? All these teams are named after a small grouping of the regions inhabitants out of respect for that grouping. It is equally commendable to name a team after a respected Indian tribe from the region, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty obvious that these are not the same kinds of groups.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post, MT2R.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty, but it's obviously from a pro-chief angle
Old 02-21-2007, 08:01 PM

alright obviously i have a view on this. The guy who actually does the dance ( in fact all of them who have done the dance) have to go and learn the dance. So its not like they made it up. They won't allow anyone to be the chief. Getting rid of the Chief from halftime is disappointing but I understand that if it offends people then it should go. What I would like to know is how we could honor instead of offend the tribe. I would like the decedents of the Illini tribe to be more vocal instead of letting the NCAA do all the talking on there behalf.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

i recall way too many letters to editor in the daily illini of this form:

"when i chose to attend the university of illinois, i did not know they had a native american mascot. now i find myself so distracted by the chief that i cannot concentrate on my studies. the chief must go now."

people like this who totally blow the issue out of proportion no doubt led to the chief's elimination.

i don't really have a stance on the chief because, as with all controversial issues, both sides have legitimate cases. but it's a shame that most people who have opinions on the issue are ignorant on the subject. mt2r's post should be printed and distributed to everyone who cares about it.