Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: I am healthy now but how would I know if I have cancer?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. First, cancer can be treated if caught early. The sooner you know, the better. Dropping dead from a heart attack can't be treated. Second, cancer can strike anyone, anytime. Maybe the OP has a high rate of cancer in his family. My father has 8 siblings. My 1 uncle is the only one in the family that has not had cancer. But because I am not old enough, I shouldn't worry?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there's a small but real chance you or me or OP will come down with cancer in near future. 1 in 5 people reading this will die of cancer if current rates hold steady. But what do you want OP to do? Should he have a $2000 physical 4 times a year? Should he go to the doctor every time he sneezes? Encase his house in lead to block any kind of electromagnetic radiation? Obviously if he's having major or recurrent health problems he should get them checked out. Constant worry or concern about health problems is not going to lead to a fulfilling life for OP. Also, I said most cases of cancer are found in older people. This is a fact. I never implied that young people can't get cancer.

edit: You also cut off my quote right before I stated that OP is in the prime age group for testicular cancer.

Look, if I get cancer, I get cancer, but I'm not going to waste my life worrying about what may or may not happen. This doesn't mean I'm going to ignore warning signs or engage is behavior that might make me cancer-prone.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need to chill. How do you know you don't have a heart defect that will cause you to drop dead one day if it isn't fixed? How do you know you aren't predisposed to having an aneurysm? Maybe you'll have a seizure on the freeway. You can't worry too much about this stuff. Most cancer is found in people significantly older than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong on so many levels. First, cancer can be treated if caught early. The sooner you know, the better. Dropping dead from a heart attack can't be treated. Second, cancer can strike anyone, anytime. Maybe the OP has a high rate of cancer in his family. My father has 8 siblings. My 1 uncle is the only one in the family that has not had cancer. But because I am not old enough, I shouldn't worry?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there's a small but real chance you or me or OP will come down with cancer in near future. 1 in 5 people reading this will die of cancer if current rates hold steady. But what do you want OP to do? Should he have a $2000 physical 4 times a year? Should he go to the doctor every time he sneezes? Encase his house in lead to block any kind of electromagnetic radiation? Obviously if he's having major or recurrent health problems he should get them checked out. Constant worry or concern about health problems is not going to lead to a fulfilling life for OP. Also, I said most cases of cancer are found in older people. This is a fact. I never implied that young people can't get cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not being paranoid and freaking out about getting cancer. He asked a legitimate serious question about signs of getting cancer. Read the first post again. In no way, shape, or form is he freaking out. It's actually a very good question.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: You also cut off my quote right before I stated that OP is in the prime age group for testicular cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that because I agree with you on that point, just not the ones I quoted.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:36 AM

Cancer rates have steadily been declining too. I never stress out about [censored] like this.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:47 AM

1. Don't smoke.
2. Wear sunblock.
3. Check your nuts in the shower once a month.
4. Keep an eye out for new or changing moles. Consider an annual skin check from a dermatologist if you have a family history of melanoma.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had five of my friends come down with cancer within six months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow...where did you grow up? Three Mile Island?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 PM

if you have to ask, you already have cancer.

Good luck with that.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure your nuts aren't lumpy.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Going on two years ago I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer. Aside from a little lump I noted in the shower I felt no different (same level of activity, etc etc). Contrary to what some random poster posted... Testicular Cancer (the most common cancer in young males) is on the rise in the US.

Check your nuts. Eat healthy. If anything seems wrong seeing a doctor early and getting it looked at and taken care of (if it needs treatment) is the best course of action. Denial about this sucks... cancer happens and you should be vigilant... but of course paranoia is no better

... I had cancer and I still cant ride bikes super fast :-(
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Get a medical encyclopedia and become a hypochondriac like me.

Have Fun!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:32 PM

UMMM I READ THE TITLE AND MY ANSWER IS:

GO TO THE DOCTOR?