Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: WCCOP Razz - defend against a LAG

[ QUOTE ]
I've had some interesting conversations with friends after reading this thread. I went from thinking I made a huge mistake calling on 4th to thinking its so marginally close that calling isn't bad. One tourny pro who is an excellent shorthanded limit Hold'em player thinks I am nuts now and therefore I must suck at poker, another said at first look he would have folded but after seeing the equity analysis he calls 3rd to re-evaluate on 4th (and he is a fantastic tourny player). Most everyone seems to like how I played 4th street an onwards. To invest 2/3 of a SB to see if your an equity fav on 4th vs an opponent who will keep firing because thats what he always does, it might be a good opportunity to double up when I am so short stacked.

I have to say this might be the most interesting hand i have played all month, and when i posted it I didn't even realize how interesting it would become. Mathematically the call is correct in a cash game (which in hindsight kind of surprises me since I didn't realize how dead my outs were)... I now think the jury is still out in a tourny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh, no way this is good in a cash game. Your cards are so dead, and you are at a significant disadvantage because he knows your cards and you don't know his. The fact that you may be ahead versus his average hand doesn't make it a good call.

In a tournament, this is closer with you both short stacked. You are getting significant pot odds, since someone is going to be allin before the hand is over.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of stats would villain need in order to place (KK)5 in his range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I don't think it's a stats issue, unless you keep stats on steal attempts from 1 and off the bringin (and I mean low cards, not seats, between you and the bringin). Some people raise so frequently first in, in a situation like that, that their range could almost anything. I think it was you who brought up frequencies a player will have a 3-card hand given a good up-card. If the bet about that much in that situation you can figure their range is a 3-card low hand. If they bet more, extend that to 3 card nines and 2-wheel-or-six card hands, if they bet more, etc. I'd have to break out the calculator to figure out how to translate steal percentages into hand ranges but generally I just think of it as... he raises too much, about right, or not enough.

Edit: I guess what I mean is that some players, tight or loose, have the balls/idiocy/whatever to bet with KK5 there, and some don't, I don't think it's tied to vpip although it's loosely tied to PFR. Just like in any poker game some people steal more than they should.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What kind of stats would villain need in order to place (KK)5 in his range?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I don't think it's a stats issue, unless you keep stats on steal attempts from 1 and off the bringin (and I mean low cards, not seats, between you and the bringin).

[/ QUOTE ]

if your not, you should. I make notes mid-game about nearly every steal hand, and also note the likely range over a period of time.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In a tournament, this is closer with you both short stacked. You are getting significant pot odds, since someone is going to be allin before the hand is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone is going to be all in, you're getting just a little better than 1:1. Is that good? You're between a 3:2 and a 2:1 dog. Granted in a tournament a 40% chance to double up when you're really short is worth something.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if your not, you should. I make notes mid-game about nearly every steal hand, and also note the likely range over a period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I often complain that 1/2 and below is much maligned on these boards regarding player quality, there is one thing to be said for it - there are not many opportunities to steal, nor many opportunities to defend. So, yeah, I don't keep good notes of stealing percentages.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've had some interesting conversations with friends after reading this thread. I went from thinking I made a huge mistake calling on 4th to thinking its so marginally close that calling isn't bad. One tourny pro who is an excellent shorthanded limit Hold'em player thinks I am nuts now and therefore I must suck at poker, another said at first look he would have folded but after seeing the equity analysis he calls 3rd to re-evaluate on 4th (and he is a fantastic tourny player). Most everyone seems to like how I played 4th street an onwards. To invest 2/3 of a SB to see if your an equity fav on 4th vs an opponent who will keep firing because thats what he always does, it might be a good opportunity to double up when I am so short stacked.

I have to say this might be the most interesting hand i have played all month, and when i posted it I didn't even realize how interesting it would become. Mathematically the call is correct in a cash game (which in hindsight kind of surprises me since I didn't realize how dead my outs were)... I now think the jury is still out in a tourny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh, no way this is good in a cash game. Your cards are so dead, and you are at a significant disadvantage because he knows your cards and you don't know his. The fact that you may be ahead versus his average hand doesn't make it a good call.

[/ QUOTE ]

betgo - In a cash game with the exact same structure getting better than 4:1 I am calling, I will win on the next street often enough and when we both improve I can re-evaluate the hand eqity and determine what to do from there. Its close.... but I call. As the Badugi guy with numbers in front of his name pointed out 'Either calling on third is a big mistake, or folding fourth is".

In closing keep in mind even i am surprised about the equity my hand holds, I didn't realize how dead the cards were when I played it (head turned, tilt, who knows). Even with the fear of reverse domination it is a +EV decision.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I often complain that 1/2 and below is much maligned on these boards regarding player quality, there is one thing to be said for it - there are not many opportunities to steal, nor many opportunities to defend. So, yeah, I don't keep good notes of stealing percentages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the problem is the structure itself, the blind/ante ratio is so high that it encourages defense in the micro-limit games. Do an analysis between your limit and 5/10 to see what I mean.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Is the ante lower at 5/10? I haven't checked. I have noticed that as you move up the bringin gets lower as a percentage of the stakes. Because of this I defend less at 1/2 than at .25/.5. The bringin at .25/.5 was .1, 20% of a bb but at 1/2 it's .20, 10% of a bb. My pot odds are much worse.

I still haven't tried playing at pokerstars, I should to get some experience with a much lower ante-bb ratio
Old 09-22-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the ante lower at 5/10? I haven't checked. I have noticed that as you move up the bringin gets lower as a percentage of the stakes. Because of this I defend less at 1/2 than at .25/.5. The bringin at .25/.5 was .1, 20% of a bb but at 1/2 it's .20, 10% of a bb. My pot odds are much worse.

I still haven't tried playing at pokerstars, I should to get some experience with a much lower ante-bb ratio

[/ QUOTE ]

I discuss this concept in detail in the first of my 3-video series at Deuces Cracked, how to adjust your game to the different structures. I also advise that until Poker Stars changes it's ante ratio I wont play Razz cash games there. IMHO you need experience playing with high antes and big pots relitive to the size of the bringin, thats where the money is.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:15 PM

SOP says to call with two live wheel cards against a raise from the last person to act with a wheel cards. In marginal situations, don't play dead cards. Your cards are about as dead as they can get.

To say you pick up the pot a lot on 4th street is irrelevant. A lot of times, you catch good, he catches bad, and he has a real hand, and you get in a bet or two and wind up tied to the hand with dead cards.