Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: WSOP FINAL TABLE 2007

I think the jury is still out when it comes to how Yang played.

Once we see what king of hands he didn't have to show down in the first couple of orbits it will be more apparent.

If he wasn't completely hit by the deck at the beginning and made a few sick bluffs to build his stack I will have a much higher opinion of him.

Once he got the chip lead he made some mistakes, but overall he played quite well IMO.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 PM

Probably a stupid question, but I've often wondered about this.

How good of a player do you have to be to win a 5000+ field tournament like this given the mixture of donks, decent players, and pros.

Say a 1 is a player who knows hand ranking but has never played hold'em, a 5 is a player who has read HOH and can beat Stars 4.40 180 man SNGs for a 20% ROI, and a 10 is Phil Ivey.

My guess is somewhere around a 6 or 7, but I suspect it could be lower.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

I think he played really well + made some sick calls.

But the moves that most people gave him a hard time about are good IMO... like the A9 call vs Watkinson (it's not like noone ever restole with anything worse than A high)
or the resteal with J8s - where IMO theguy calling all his chips off with KJ is more questionable then Yang

Just my 0.02$
Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where IMO theguy calling all his chips off with KJ is more questionable then Yang

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here - Gordon kept yammering about how the best three players at the table got knocked out 1,2,3.

so this guy, third best at the table, thought it was a good idea to value-raise his KJo into the calling station chipleader?? i dont mind his calling off but why didnt he just open-push?

I liked Kravchenko but thought there was too much open-raising - > fold to a Yang rr from the short stacks.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:56 PM

What about the AT vs KK hand ? That was fairly terrible by Yang
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the AT vs KK hand ? That was fairly terrible by Yang

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wasn't. It was fairly standard. He reraised from the sb against a active russian who opened in the btn and when the Alex pushed, Yang was getting 2 to 1 to call. Fairly standard call there.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:30 PM

I haven't finished watching the FT, but I've watched every hand for the first 13 hours of the broadcast. I thought Yang played phenomenally well. He dominated, he was aggressive, he raised and reraised and stole virtually every pot, and then got his money in good whenever it mattered. He was unreadable, both physically and in terms of his betting patterns. Did he get lucky and hit by the deck to some extent? Of course, as has everyone who has ever won a final table.

When Phil Gordon tried to criticizing Yang for opening for too much, Phil Hellmuth jumped in and said that's exactly what you should do with a big chip lead, which was an interesting thought. Gordon's constant belittling criticism of Yang was appalling. The A9 was not a horrific call, it was IMO a very good call, both because Yang had to know his image was superloose, and because it sent a message to the rest of the table that if you come over the top you're going to get called, which tightened them up even more, which allowed to run them over even more. The KQ call which Gordon thought was horrible was standard and uninteresting. Well done, Mr. Yang.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably a stupid question, but I've often wondered about this.

How good of a player do you have to be to win a 5000+ field tournament like this given the mixture of donks, decent players, and pros.

Say a 1 is a player who knows hand ranking but has never played hold'em, a 5 is a player who has read HOH and can beat Stars 4.40 180 man SNGs for a 20% ROI, and a 10 is Phil Ivey.

My guess is somewhere around a 6 or 7, but I suspect it could be lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on those descriptions and the effect of luck, 5 is plenty good enough, even a 4.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM

"Silly" is being charitable
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The final table was a freakin donkfest and The only pro (LW) got sucked into the donkfest by going all in with Ace rag preflop against a donk call with a higher ace rag? The only good thing out of this final table, it will encourage more donk plays in tourney's now, by fish that watch this when it comes out on ESPN, and think the plays made at this final table are they way you win. LOL, I can't believe that Lee and Scotty thought they could bluff their tournament lives against these donks and not get called. Farha, Gus , any pro would of laid down against Lee and Scotty in those situations, but not these donks. Come one guys , you cant bluff these donkeys off any hand, especially when they hold ace rag pre flop, or post flop bottom pair, ever!! I figured Scotty and Lee would of know this, apparently not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my stance on the final after watching every hand. The play was just so ridonkulous. This is by far, BY FAR, and I have watched 5 live now, worst ME final table in that time span. You would think donks can only make it so far through a 6,300+ field, but obviously not. Just mind boggling how bad the play was.

Having said that, Yang deserved to win.

Kravchenko was easily the best player and watching Hilm go out 9th with 85 still with 15mil was awesome.