Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Training for a marathon

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And lastly, cotton is the absolute worst material to train in. You will chafe, especially your nipples.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Amen, brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti chafing cream FTW. If its wet and windy, proper clothes will still make you chafe- I've had bleeding nipples before, which are pretty similar to badly sunburned lips in that they take a long, long time to get back to normal.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dean, dont know if they have this is just a US thing or not, but you might be interested in team in training, its a good way to get trained, meet other people to keep you motivated, and its also charity and helping others. I personally havent done it, but know several people who have, and they all found it extremely rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot for this link man. Im going along on saturday to start training - am gonna aim for this triathlon. It's 16-17 weeks away. Have two options

i) Olympic Distance Triathlon: 1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run

ii) Sprint Distance Triathlon: 400 Meter swim, 20K bike, 4K run

Ideally Id shoot for something in between, but Im gonna for the Olympic I think. What sort of times would be good/bad? Id like some time to aim for to motivate myself.

Dean
Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dean, dont know if they have this is just a US thing or not, but you might be interested in team in training, its a good way to get trained, meet other people to keep you motivated, and its also charity and helping others. I personally havent done it, but know several people who have, and they all found it extremely rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

They've been very helpful, I go in about 32 hours, looking forward to it much!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM

For staying hydrated on long runs, I just do a series of loops where I end up back at my house, or car, where I can keep a supply of Gatorade and water and maybe some Goo or Power Gel. In cooler weather I usually make them 5-mile loops. When it's hotter, I'll make them 2, 3 or 4 mile loops. If the long run is 15 miles, that's three 5-mile loops in cooler weather or five 3-mile loops if it's hot. Works great for me. Though the temptation to just stop, short of your session goal, can be hard to overcome at times.

I trained last fall for a marathon (LV) and hit the wall hard after an 18-mile run. Not only that but the insoles in my shoes broke down and I wound up injured. I took some time off over the winter and am planning to start training next month for a marathon in early October. I am already doing 10-mile runs once a week and logging about 20-25 miles each week at this point, so I am pretty confident that if I can steer clear of injuries during the training, I will finish it.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot for this link man. Im going along on saturday to start training - am gonna aim for this triathlon. It's 16-17 weeks away. Have two options

i) Olympic Distance Triathlon: 1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run

ii) Sprint Distance Triathlon: 400 Meter swim, 20K bike, 4K run

Ideally Id shoot for something in between, but Im gonna for the Olympic I think. What sort of times would be good/bad? Id like some time to aim for to motivate myself.

Dean

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean - A few things. I would suggest starting with a Sprint for your 1st Tri. For times / speeds these are pretty good benchmarks...

Swim - under 1:50 per 100m
Bike - 18 mph
Run - well, anything under 8 min / mile is pretty damn quick.

For lots of great info...look at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

milo who used to be a mod here is over there (AcesFull) and I'm on there too (PanicTour). Feel free to ask any questions. I check that site way more than here nowadays since I spend more time training than playing pokah.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM

BTW, good luck this weekend!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Shiiiiiip it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Dean,

I'm guessing you finished your triathlon, nh sir.
But we need more than "Ship It"... details please.
Which one did you decide to do? What was your time?
Which of the three legs was most difficult? Did you
have fun? Frankly, the "ship it" trip report leaves little to be desired [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

East Coaster,

You sound like you're in my situation. I've been building a base for the last 2 months (up to 20 miles a week). My marathon training program starts on July 1st. I, like you, just pray I don't get injured. That must have been so disappointing considering you were up to 18 miles on your long run [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Am starting to write this up on my blog.

Is it abnormal that I feel really sore 5 days afterwards? It seems that each day a new body part, hitherto unaffected, starts to ache. Im really keen to get back in the swings of things, any idea how long I will have to wait?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am starting to write this up on my blog.

Is it abnormal that I feel really sore 5 days afterwards? It seems that each day a new body part, hitherto unaffected, starts to ache. Im really keen to get back in the swings of things, any idea how long I will have to wait?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eat a lot of nutritious food. A lot.