Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Results of a CP2-7 experiment

thanks phat mack. How did you calculate these? Did smolens do anything differently to arrive at his win % tables for high chinese? Or is a KJ high flush the median hand for making your best hand from 13 cards?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Results of a CP2-7 experiment

[ QUOTE ]
How did you calculate these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote a sim that deals a hand of x cards (in this case 13), and then selects the best possible 2-7 hand from among the 13 and records it.

[ QUOTE ]
Did smolens do anything differently to arrive at his win % tables for high chinese?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Smolens is doing something completely different. For example, when I dealt 13 cards and picked the best possible 2-7 hand, I didn't have to worry about using any of the cards for the two high hands.

Not only did Smolens have to find the optimal setting for three hands, he had to deal with each hand being progressively better than the others, a stipulation that is largely missing from CP2-7.

If you look at the data that Mark posted on lowballgurus, you'll see that those hand strengths aren't as strong. This is because (I assume) the program is setting three hands, and not just one. I produced my data because I wanted an arbitrary percentile rating index for evaluating different hand settings for a lot of weird CP variants. I think the data that Mark is producing is going to be a lot more realistic and valuable for practical use while playing.