Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: How many men with modern weaponry...........

Just one baby... just one

Seriously though, I think about 100 well-trained snipers (w/ some sidearms and M4s and whatnot) could do it. I mean, can't modern sniper rifles hit something a mile or so away? You could take out a few thousand before the opposition even got in range.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:04 AM

it matters prob very little flatline, but u just made my day. hail to the king baby
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just one baby... just one

Seriously though, I think about 100 well-trained snipers (w/ some sidearms and M4s and whatnot) could do it. I mean, can't modern sniper rifles hit something a mile or so away? You could take out a few thousand before the opposition even got in range.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes..and they are semi-automatic.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wikipedia says the range of the M24 sniper rifle is only 800 m (about half a mile).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_Sniper_Weapon_System

As for the original question, I saw something on Discovery or the Military Channel about the advent of automatic weapons. Apparently, you only need 2 machine guns to take out an entire line of enemies, if they were lined up like they did back in the day. You have a line of your own, put one machine gun on the far left end of your line and one on the far right of your line. You criss-cross their firing field and it kills almost anything around.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Two men.

Bob Lee Swagger and Tony Robbins.

What else would you need? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

One to terrify, one to subjugate.

Aside: Not that I'm entirely sure who does what here.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two men.

Bob Lee Swagger and Tony Robbins.

What else would you need? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

One to terrify, one to subjugate.

Aside: Not that I'm entirely sure who does what here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you could bring back a portable generator an amp and some speakers, I would replace Bob Lee Swagger with Iggy Pop as the 'terrify' part of the equation. Tony would definitely be the choice for subjugate -- TONY ROBBINS HUNGRY!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One pilot in a helo could pretty much take on everyone pre gunpowder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not after that first battle. The enemy are capable of learning.

As long as they stayed under the forest canopy, the helo pilot would have trouble even finding them, much less winning a battle.

I mentioned helicopter gunships in my OP as a good way of reducing enemy defensive positions, but you'd still need ground troops.

[/ QUOTE ]
One helo or plane w/ rockets, napalm, etc would pretty much do it I'd think. Battle? W/o guns there is no battle, just genocide.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mention planes, but there were no airstrips back in the day. How are they going to take off and land (unless you're going to use an aircraft carrier)?

One helo would not be enough. Eventually, other armies and kingdoms would adapt, and start mass construction of catapults as a defensive measure. All it would take is one lucky shot.

If allowed, I'd say you have one aircraft carrier armed with patriot missiles, and with a couple fighter jets/bombers, and enough men needed to make it functional. A half dozen helos. 2 or 3 tanks to defend your home base. 500 marines as your main army with a couple scores of humvees. And a few different special op groups.

The biggest danger to the ground troops would obviously be archers. Just like modern times, simply send in the air support first, and induce shock and awe. Send in the ground troops after this to pick off the remaints of the enemy's scattered army.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If allowed, I'd say you have one aircraft carrier armed with patriot missiles

[/ QUOTE ]

Wha? In case Saladin attacks with his SCUDs?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that guerilla warfare is a fairly new invention, especially, and that armies tended to march in straight lines in ranks toward their enemies, I think that only a small amount of strategic planning would be required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, it would only take one battle for the enemy to realize that marching in a straight line isn't a good idea against mortars and machine guns.

Also, what would be the purpose of body armor? They don't protect against arrows or swords.

Also remember, the Ewoks took out Stormtroopers, who had blasters and heavy artillery, using only rocks.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what would be the purpose of body armor? They don't protect against arrows or swords.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does body armor not protect against arrows or swords?