Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Limping PF then facing raise from right

[ QUOTE ]
Find a good pre-flop chart and follow it religiously until you know why you don't have to anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I added one word to make this the best advice of the thread. Good response kerowo.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure you have. It's called not playing dominated hands from EP, and it's covered in every book you've read. That said, you're reading a lot of advanced texts, and the suggestion was some beginners' books...even SSH, which comes closest to applying to micro games, is going to be a little beyond you until you can explain to somebody else why limping QTo from EP is a bad idea. That's the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However (even though I hate to nitpick), my question wasn't about when to limp from EP with a mediocre hand, but was about what to do when you have already limped in this situation and are raised on your right.

Perhaps my QT off-suit was a bad example and I should have used QTs instead, as I would have had the same difficulty with that hand.

I have my answer though, thanks all!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sure you have. It's called not playing dominated hands from EP, and it's covered in every book you've read. That said, you're reading a lot of advanced texts, and the suggestion was some beginners' books...even SSH, which comes closest to applying to micro games, is going to be a little beyond you until you can explain to somebody else why limping QTo from EP is a bad idea. That's the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However (even though I hate to nitpick), my question wasn't about when to limp from EP with a mediocre hand, but was about what to do when you have already limped in this situation and are raised on your right.

Perhaps my QT off-suit was a bad example and I should have used QTs instead, as I would have had the same difficulty with that hand.

I have my answer though, thanks all!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of no hand or situation where I would limp and not call for one raise. The beauty of strong pre-flop play is that it puts you in this situation. Limping with QTo UTG shows that you aren't there yet.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of no hand or situation where I would limp and not call for one raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither can I.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously no offense you need to get ahold of a beginner's book (Internet Texas Hold'Em for example) and go though the basics, particularly as regards to preflop. You've got some concepts running around in your head that are flailing around due to a lack of foundation.

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken; I appreciate your input. But for the record, I've already read SSHE twice, Texas Hold'Em for Advanced Players twice, and I'm finishing Theory of Poker now. I've just never seen this type of situation addressed and thus don't know what to do. Edit: But I'm sure I just missed it somewhere so I'll keep reading.

But I think now I understand, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may already have been said, but HPFAP also has some good info in regards to this hand pf. I don't have my copy on me, but I believe this book puts this hand in group 6 and you should only play group 1-5 in EP in a loose game.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:30 PM

*Grunch*

As I'm guessing everyone else has advised, fold QTo pre-flop in early position. In your situation, since you're limped, you're pretty much obligated now to call to see the flop.

Though, fold pre-flop and save yourself the pain.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This may already have been said, but HPFAP also has some good info in regards to this hand pf. I don't have my copy on me, but I believe this book puts this hand in group 6 and you should only play group 1-5 in EP in a loose game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct! But there are "revised" versions of Slansky's grouping that put QT in Group 5 instead of Group 6.

For example: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/mummert/poker/

And this is why I played QT from UTG in this game.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct! But there are "revised" versions of Slansky's grouping that put QT in Group 5 instead of Group 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think you should put in a couple 10k hands playing basic SSHE poker before you worry about the more advanced play. Playing QTo to a raise requires some experience, which you don't get from books as much as from playing hands. Also, the more advanced theory books assume your playing against opponents who act rationally, which is not the case at the micros. Crawl > walk > run.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Fold this preflop
Old 06-19-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After skimming over the document, I don't see anything that explains their postflop playing algorithms. So even if QT is a play UTG according to their scheme, you don't know whether your table conditions actually match their situation, nor do you know whether you are playing it the way they would.