Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Asshole?
Yes! 23 74.19%
No! 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Re: I don\'t feel like waiting until tomorrow night- NFL POWER RANKINGS

Shockingly, I'm going to link an FO piece about Dallas, and why they're likely to regress somewhat.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd put Baltimore alongside Detroit and Oakland. They haven't played one truly impressive game yet. The four teams below them all have at least one big win, some of them two of them.

Wait, I just noticed you listed all 32 teams in order by number of losses, with not one exception. Coincidence? Are you just being lazy or do you really think there's not one team in the entire NFL that's better/worse than its record after 5 weeks? Edit: I see San Diego is above a couple of 2-loss teams.

I still think Cincinnati is much better than SF/KC/Denver (who all look just awful) although I admit they haven't really shown they deserve to be much higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a total coincidence if true.

Cincy seems to me like one of those teams that everyone thinks should be good but just aren't. I mean they were only 8-8 last year and they're 1-3 this year. They have a lot of superstars, so I think that may make them overrated. I mean, come on 50 points to Cleveland? That D is horrendous.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 AM

I am still not sold on the Pats. All the teams they have played so far rank at the bottom of the league for defense, so putting up 30+ every game is not that special. Dallas is going to be the first team they play this year that has any semblance of defense.

Defensively they have been impressive however. Holding the Bengals to under 20 is very good (though they were one idiotic miscommunication between Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer away from getting at least 20).

So just based on strength of schedule I have to put the Colts above the Pats. This weekend will be the test.

I also include Dallas in the top class list.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 AM

I didn't say they're good, I said they're better than three crap teams in SF/KC/Denver which I consider 5-11 or 6-10 teams. To be fair, Cincy's schedule has been brutal so far. They have seven pretty easy games left (NY Jets, St. Louis, Cleveland, @Kansas City, @Buffalo, @San Francisco, @Miami). If they win five of those and get one tough win then they're 7-9.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Billy,

Maybe I value last year too much, but it does influence my initial rankings to start the season. And all 3 of those teams were much better than 5-11 last year, so they started out ranked higher. And so far this year they're all 2-3...thats not great, but its not bad enough for a drastic drop from where they started in my rankings.

Fair point about Cincy's schedule though. And basically we're arguing about a bunch of teams right next to each other in the MUDDLED middle.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone really make an argument that Dallas is better than either NE or INdy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dallas can themselves on Sunday....but no real case can be made until at least then.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Washington is interesting with games coming up at the Packers, Cowboys and NE. I think they may be a very good team, but could still easily lose those three games and be hovering around .500 without their power ranking changing all that much.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM

Ravens too high.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 AM

Oh, and cut the Texans some slack, to those saying they're too high. Missing your #1 back and your top 2 WRs is going to make any team look ordinary.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still not sold on the Pats. All the teams they have played so far rank at the bottom of the league for defense, so putting up 30+ every game is not that special. Dallas is going to be the first team they play this year that has any semblance of defense.

Defensively they have been impressive however. Holding the Bengals to under 20 is very good (though they were one idiotic miscommunication between Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer away from getting at least 20).

So just based on strength of schedule I have to put the Colts above the Pats. This weekend will be the test.

I also include Dallas in the top class list.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to make a wager? I'll take NE +3 @ Dallas.