Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Cambrian

[ QUOTE ]

That very precisely addresses the question of whether Cambrian fossils disprove evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. It doesn't, however, address my question.

Double sigh.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have no inkling of the point I was making.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do. You don't of mine though.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have no inkling of the point I was making.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do. You don't of mine though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your claim is that the explosion of speciation in the Cambrian fossils cannot be accounted for with natural explanations, therefore they disprove the Darwinian process of gradual evolution.

What was mine?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Btw- When he takes the position that God engaged in special creation at various times... Does he state on what basis he is staking this position on? And does it have anything to do with science? Or is it just his personal feeling?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just beginning to look at his stuff. I read a Perakh critique of one of his books and was impressed by the fact that all he could find wrong was a very minor point, ignoring all the massive and important questions. I'm planning to read some of his books, of which there are many. His web site isn't set up systematically so I can't really pin him down just yet - he deals with individual questions in papers and has a lot of tv and radio files that are not organized, but can be very interesting.

But it definitely has to do with science. You have to remember that he's speaking to laymen so his stuff isn't meant to appear in science journals, but he clearly is very knowledgeable, especially about astronomy, his specialty. He has associates who are Ph.D's in other areas.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If life just pops up with no evidence of Darwinism I think special creation is as logical as an explanation that has no evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]
IF life pops up with no evidence of Darwinism then we have to throw away all the other mountains of evidence examined by countless people for over a century?
There have been tons of opportunities for one fossil record to be out of place and to throw out the theory of evolution. JBS Haldane mentions "rabbits in the precambrian" for one. So far, this hasn't really happened.

If life pops up with no evidence of Darwinism, why don't we examine what evidnece we have to come up with a better explanation? What's wrong with objectively looking at the evidence we have with an open mind and doing the best we can?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

taken from here Seems like a good intro

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it and don't see where he disputes the assertion that the fossil record doesn't support Darwinism.

[/ QUOTE ]
He starts you off on two lines of enquiry that may explain the Cambrian problem.

If the Cambrian anaomoly is resolved then is that the support you're hoping for?

chez
Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your claim is that the explosion of speciation in the Cambrian fossils cannot be accounted for with natural explanations,

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my claim was that Darwin admitted the fossil record doesn't support his theory. I didn't claim his theory is wrong, I didn't claim you can't invent explanations of the lack of fossils, but that Darwin questioned his own theory.

[ QUOTE ]

What was mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

That the absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with objectively looking at the evidence we have with an open mind and doing the best we can?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what I'm doing. Darwin says OCA by gradual development. He then says the fossil record doesn't support the theory. Only a closed mind would say that no fossil record isn't relevant to his theory.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, my claim was that Darwin admitted the fossil record doesn't support his theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Still not sure what you mean by 'supprt' but I'm struggling to come up with a sensible meaning that fits with what he said.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't claim his theory is wrong ... but that Darwin questioned his own theory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, he was a very good scientist.

chez
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the Cambrian anaomoly is resolved then is that the support you're hoping for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just wondering why all the open minds on this forum can't admit an obvious fact: The Cambrian explosion can't be explained from the fossil record.