Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Deep stack NLH advice.

The answers to those questions may well be worth formulating, but just to not lose sight of the OP, I don't see them as directly related to stack size.

Some people (Mike Caro, I think) advocate playing wild for an orbit or two to loosen everyone up. This is probably more helpful at B&M, where a much smaller % of the seats are filled by people who are playing to make money.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 AM

i would say pot control, metagame, and position are the most important factor especially in uncapped games where you can have anywhere from 100BB's to well over 500.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is there a time you want to play big pots? when?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it's when you don't care if the other guy raises big because your decision is obvious. i.e. when you have a monster, or when you have a huge draw (and a lot behind), or when you have trash.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:35 PM

I have always wondered about the best deep stack players as well. The advice given so far seems great if you want to avoid destacking yourself...but what about destacking others?

It's not easy to get 300BBs off people and it seems very difficult/scary to build an image that will entice people to call off 300+ BBs without the nuts. Or is it more of taking smaller chunks at a time until their stack or patience has dwindled to the point that makes the final kill possible? Have you seen some of the crazy pots at 100/200NL online? I remember seeing fast freddie putting in $100,000+ with almost nothing multiple times.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM

Another concept that is definetly controversial but could make for some pleasant evenings.

Don't be afraid to 'overbet' the pot. And I don't mean by betting $100 into a $75 pot. I mean betting $300-500 into a $75 pot. This idea should be mostly used on the river so you don't need to worry about building a pot and then getting blown off of it.

This move should be done with monsters and bluffs alike. I think it can benefit your future action on 'normal' played hands. Plus you might get paid off on those hands when you do hold the goods and as well take a few pots you do not deserve.

Lots of players upon seeing this betting style tighten up and 'wait for their spot' to trap you. They are easy to spot since they don't give too much action and thus you can now just asvoid playing a big pot with them (unless ofcourse you have them beat). As well it may make a previously 'tricky player' more under control because of his worry of a severe overbet from you.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 AM

Isn't that like the "Biggest Online Winner" Gordon writes about? Well, except that his huge overbets are on the flop, with sets, strong draws, gutshots alike.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that like the "Biggest Online Winner" Gordon writes about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea who that is.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, except that his huge overbets are on the flop, with sets, strong draws, gutshots alike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a bit different from what I was saying, but hey that might work too.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM

Is this all we can do? There has to be more ideas, concepts, subtle variations, and so on......
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that like the "Biggest Online Winner" Gordon writes about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea who that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Phil Gordon, writing about Prahlad Friedman.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth style. Keep the pot small. Make better decisions on subsequent streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you go about "making better decisions on subsequent streets"? How does this differ from making good decisions with only 100BB? That is like saying, try to win. Please explain in a bit more detail onn how to keep the pots small, and play Hellmuth style, and make better decisions...

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that by keeping the pot small, you have the opportunity to make better decisions (i.e. have a variety of decisions to choose from) on later streets.

The closer the pot size becomes relative to your stack, the more obvious your decisions are (i.e. the closer you become to push or fold mode).

[/ QUOTE ]

simply put.

after a raise and a call in most 100BB or less pots, say you have AK and flop TPTK, its very rare you're getting away from the hand, where as deepstack, its a much more complicated process.