Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Re: I need a little life advice right now.

imo anyone who can make $300+/hr at poker right now is insane to do anything else, unless theyve already got a mid six-digit bank account. like you said, you can always go back to school but poker might become less and less lucrative.

that said, try to keep your life balanced. 24/7 poker can burn you out quickly. maybe even staying in school but getting a lighter schedule would be a good idea.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 AM

Ansky, if you decide you really want to do this, I don't really see any reason why you shouldn't. You might want to make sure that this won't effect more than just this semester though. I'm not sure how Mcgill works, but at Waterloo if I were to miss a fall term there would be a couple classes that I wouldn't be able to take until the next fall, which may cause some problems. Also, this doesn't necessarily have to be one way or the other, you might also want to look into taking a reduced course load. I guarantee you'll still be able to play all the poker you want while taking a class or two.

Steve

P.S. Try to win Niagara and this becomes much less of an issue [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: and schwah one ups me again [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 AM

Oh come one, is school really that hard for you? I have a hard time believing you can't stay in school and make boatloads of cash at the same time.

Poker will always be here for you in some form, and believe it or not being bad at poker is not a skill that Americans are uniquely qualified to do. I think there are too many unknowns to be making a decision as big as dropping out for a semester or two.

My sense from this thread is the same as Jason's. You have already made up your mind and are just looking for confirmation. You're a smart kid, you know yourself, only you know what's best for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope you're not one of those sad cases that are always going back next semester. Most who say it think that it will never be THEM that keeps putting it off. Either it's a priority or it's not.

EDIT: I agree with those suggesting a reduced case load as a compromise.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe even staying in school but getting a lighter schedule would be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was what I originally was going to do... now I'm not so sure.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM

Keep running up the score. But I'd consider this. Would you rather be a Strassa or a H@ll?

What it boils down to, pretty much, I think.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
imo anyone who can make $300+/hr at poker right now is insane to do anything else

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing more needs to be said really. One or two semesters off, so what? Lots of students do that. But not many of them have half a million monies afterwards. You will.

Play poker man.

OBV
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Ansky,
You owe me 4 minutes. I wrote a reply to this thread, it took 4 minutes, I wrote it because you said you needed advice, but you lied, you made up your mind long before this thread.

That's 4 minutes I would have spent playing tetris instead of doing my criminal reading and I want it back.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 AM

Lets put it this way. I don't know you in real life. But, from reading your posts, I consider you at the very least, an intillecual equal.

I would take a prop bet that I could get B's or better in 3 college courses this semester.
Keep in mind:
-I work a full time job
-Am getting married in 3 weeks
-Will be out of the country for 3 weeks
-Play poker 20+ hours a week
-watch 8+ hours of football every Sunday

So you aren't really dropping out of school to make more money, b/c they arent exactly exclusive ideas. You could take 1-2 classes and put in 2-3 hours a week.

If the only way you can really throw yourself into poker is to drop out, go for it. But make sure you are honest with yourself. You can do both. 1-2 easy classes wont take up much of your time. But I have seen maybe one hundred people who 'took some time off' from college. Maybe 5 went back when they said they would.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM

What are you studying in school? Unless it's something absurd (and Strasser manages while studying engineering), I really think you can do both.

One thing to think about is that if most of your college friends are the same year as you, you will likely not be graduating at the same time if you take 1-2 semesters off. That may seem like a small thing, but it can really through your dynamic off-kilter later in your school career, because the things on your mind and the things on theirs will be very different.

Believe me, I share your worry of thinking a year from now "I wish I had played more poker when...." But at the same time, do you see yourself on your deathbed thinking the same thing?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 AM

PM me later when I get back from work, I can tell you a couple of things.