Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: (kind of LC) how to improve mental fortitude?

[ QUOTE ]
i think most people assume they should eliminate emotion at the poker tables, but i think that's the wrong way about it. emotion is part of us, it's part of who we are as organisms and it's wrong to fight it and try to eliminate it. everyone i know that is emotionless at the tables sinks into a rut and plays their C game all the time. they never tilt and play their F game, but they never have an A game either, and they never improve and get better.

it depends on what you're after with the game. if you want to grind all day, then fine, be emotionless. if you want to improve and really be exceptional at the game, i think you need to acknowledge it and accept it and harness it to drive you to do better. if you're emotionless you simply lose your ambition and competitive edge.

i'm not saying it's ok to tilt, i'm saying that you must have an extreme desire to crush your opponent, and you must be overconfident in yourself, and it must bother you to no end when your opponent outplays you. and at the same time you have to be level-headed enough to focus and find the best play. it's an extraordinarily delicate thing to balance, but it's the only way to be a top player in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post. I realize it's not exactly what you're talking about but I think if there's anything I should do it's to trust my feelings even more than I do now. Sometimes I just feel in my bones that I should call/fold/bet/raise/whatever and you know what? Just about every time my feeling is right. The only thing that differs is if I follow through on it or not.

Also, a little bit more about what you're saying, yes it's very important to not be like "yeah he outplayed me, oh well" but really STRIVE to be better and not ever let him outplay you again ever
Old 09-05-2007, 02:55 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

I used to play HU vs. anyone (at my stakes) because I was too proud to quit anyone.

Then I read a post by CTS where he basically said - playing HU vs other good players is silly because it is either a)an exercise in sick variance or b) a losing proposition.

That said about the importance of game selection, I do not play HU at all if I am not running/playing well. Stick to full tables, win some pots, and get your mojo back before diving back in.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know you're probably not going to act on this but, something that's really helped me with these kinds of things is yoga and meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive thought about this before, how did you get into it? did you take lessons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Full-Catastrophe-L...5338&sr=1-2

I would also recommend just finding a yoga studio near you and drop in on one of their basic classes.

BTW i have these ruts too, exactly like you've described.. It feels like sometimes when I sit down that I just can't think clearly. It happens sometimes for days at a time. I haven't really found anything that could quickly fix feeling like this either.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 AM

I also think music selection can be huge. If i'm running well and dominating weak-tight opponents, i'll throw some Rage against the machine on and steamroll fools. But if i'm feeling steamy, or running bad, put on some low-key acoustic indie rock or something and just mellow out and grind. Pretty effective.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:10 AM

weed
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
weed

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like telling an alcoholic the way to cure all their problems is to get wasted.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think music selection can be huge. If i'm running well and dominating weak-tight opponents, i'll throw some Rage against the machine on and steamroll fools. But if i'm feeling steamy, or running bad, put on some low-key acoustic indie rock or something and just mellow out and grind. Pretty effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a completely opposite note, try wearing earplugs while playing.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

and as far as always bringing your A game - only playing when I feel like it and not playing too many days in a row is how I manage it
Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and as far as always bringing your A game - only playing when I feel like it and not playing too many days in a row is how I manage it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy way out to fix the problem but it really lessens the hands we put in each month if we all follow that. We are looking for how do we play longer and keep our mental focus?

What I find that helps is to try and stay in shape. Not just mentally but physically. Meaning going to the gym at least 3-4 times a week.

Re: what perdoom said about ego. I think a little is ok, as long as it gives you confidence boost, but if you start letting your ego take control of your table selection and willingness to stop, then it's too much.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 AM

a) don't play if you don't feel like it
b) take breaks between sessions; by breaks I mean go jogging, swimming or playing tennis or smth. Breathe fresh air; inhale the sun.
c) don't check PT/balance as to how much you're up or down. If you find yourself checking how much you're down just suspend the session.
d) switch games; play PLO or 6max or FR or lower limits.