Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Can i get some insight 10nl

raise preflop is fine for the reasons jim listed...
i donīt like a c/rai though b/c we donīt have any fold equity imo. so i just c/f the flop.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

55=1010 when raising out of the blinds if the whole table is going to call anyways.

At NL10 I think checking and seeing the flop is best preflop since any raise will get called by anyone that limped previously.

As you move up less people will be calling your raises from the blinds, and it makes sense to raise the pots up since you can win the hand in a variety of ways. At NL10 it basically takes a hand to win in this spot, so raising preflop is just gross IMO.

As far as how you played it, if your gonna lead the flop lead it as if you had an actual hand. 1/2 - 2/3 pot would look normal if you had AA/KK for example. You have 6 outs to be on the bottom end of a straight which is not good, so I prefer check/calling small bet on flop only and shutting down. A hand like this you will not get any flush draws, straight draws and mid-over pairs that limped out, so its probably best to check fold.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM

The PF raise with a small pp is fine, building a pot worth taking down when you flop a set is never a bad play. In this case, the UTG open limper decides to limp-raise.

This hand is now about stack sizes.

We just barely have enough of a stack to call this size 3 bet PF, but the UTG limp/raise villain does NOT have nearly enough worth set mining for his stack.

In this specific case, "WAIT!", realize the situation, and fold pre-flop (after you've opened from the bb obv).
If villain HAD a full stack, call PF for set value and muck otherwise. Yes, including and OESD, there's no need to get stacks in with that little equity, only heeee hawwwws get sucked in by the OESD in this situation, save your $ for the flops that hit your set.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Raising pre is not the most atrocious play, but the problem with it (especially knowing you're getting at least 3 callers) is that on every flop that does not contain a 5, you must check fold. I understand that you're trying to build a pot, but you're not going to thin the field at all and quite honestly most of the time I don't even want a set vs 3+ players.

Now, as for the flop, what was the point of leading .30? In a pot that size, that's basically a check. Multiway on this board, leading (if you can call it that) is just ridiculous, imo.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising pre is not the most atrocious play, but the problem with it (especially knowing you're getting at least 3 callers) is that on every flop that does not contain a 5, you must check fold. I understand that you're trying to build a pot, but you're not going to thin the field at all and quite honestly most of the time I don't even want a set vs 3+ players.

Now, as for the flop, what was the point of leading .30? In a pot that size, that's basically a check. Multiway on this board, leading (if you can call it that) is just ridiculous, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

"quite honestly most of the time I don't even want a set vs 3+ players."

!?!?!?!?!?!

After re reading this, !?!?!?!?!?! isn't enough, this needs to be seriously addressed. Would you mind if I used your comment as the start of a new thread?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:34 AM

I'd love to have a set against 100people. sets are the nuts on the flop...

Raising preflop is fine, jim said why, above.

The small donk on the flop was a retarded move, bet out half the pot and fold to a reraise, if you want to bet out.
UTG has QQ+,AK, or maybe even KK/AA only.
Just check the flop and try to hit your draw.
And the flop call was spew, you got an OESD (not like someone said a gutshot or the idiot end of a straight, both outs are good because of UTG's range) try to draw cheaply.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Very good debate here.

I usually check PF but can see the argument to raise and build pot so can get paid off when hit set.

0524432- what do you mean by having a full stack- just more than hero? Why is this important- if hero hits set, he'll still get a decent stack from villain.

Post flop is ugly- as most people have covered adequately.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good debate here.

I usually check PF but can see the argument to raise and build pot so can get paid off when hit set.

0524432- what do you mean by having a full stack- just more than hero? Why is this important- if hero hits set, he'll still get a decent stack from villain.

Post flop is ugly- as most people have covered adequately.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a simple example of implied odds. You're going to flop a set 12.5% of the time (1 in 8). Therefor, the villain needs to have AT LEAST 8 times the size of the bet to see the flop (wether you initiated half or all of the raise) in order for the call to be +eV. In this case, after the .75 cost to see the flop, villain has only 6.4333 times the raise left behind. Not only is this not even 8, 8 is a base #, if you think you can stack the villain if you flop a set (which in the case of limp/raise utg your chances are very good), the more $ they have behind, the better!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"quite honestly most of the time I don't even want a set vs 3+ players."

!?!?!?!?!?!

After re reading this, !?!?!?!?!?! isn't enough, this needs to be seriously addressed. Would you mind if I used your comment as the start of a new thread?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM

I agree with gospy and lucky jim. Try to get AK or AQ to give it up (because you all know that AA and KK can't help themselves no matter what shows up on that board).

UTG could have anything, and that underpair just isn't worth it. Look for more opportune moments (and there will always be some at nano and microlimits) and don't piss your money away. Just my 2 cents.