Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Trip Report - DUI

5'11 180, well 165 now that I've lost 15 lbs. of belly on this ketosis diet. I was probably 173-7 at the time of the incident.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It happens, but officers are told to crank it up on the 4th, and everybody knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we are just supposed to let them take the day celebrating our freedom and stick it right up our asses because the officers are told to crank it up? What happens btw? They rape our rights as American citizens. Happy 4th of July son. Let's illegaly pull you over hoping you are doing something illegal on our National Holiday. Not only is that not right, but both I and o.p. could have legally been sober with credit for acetone in our system given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

How about not driving after you've been drinking. Drinking and driving is illegal. It is the cops job to catch people doing illegal things.

Drive Drunk = You will eventually get caught.

Edit: I know more than a lot of people about DWI's because I got one in Minnesota in 2005. I know what the OP is going through. Bottom line DON'T DRIVE AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Edge, good post, thanks, it just appears we're on opposite ends of "have they gone too far?"

[ QUOTE ]
Drinking and driving is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. Being drunk and driving is illegal. And the issue at hand is the definition of "drunk", and a lot of us think it's gotten out of hand.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about not driving after you've been drinking. Drinking and driving is illegal. It is the cops job to catch people doing illegal things.

Drive Drunk = You will eventually get caught.

Edit: I know more than a lot of people about DWI's because I got one in Minnesota in 2005. I know what the OP is going through. Bottom line DON'T DRIVE AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING!

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a MADD commercial. You reading this right off their homepage?

This is exactly what MADD is trying to make happen. Why the hell shouldn't I be able to have a few drinks and drive home if I am in control. Apparently they have driven this home too.

It isn't illegal to drink & drive It's illegal to drink & drive when you've had more than what the gov't decided is a tolerable level. It isn't the social drinkers causing a problem. It is the over consumers who drink to excess and drink & drive repeatedly.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Drinking and driving is illegal

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously get the urge to kill people when I hear someone say this.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.10. I'm from the Fargo-Moorhead area. It happened on Highway 10 on my way into Moorhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you blew .10 say an hour after you started to drive (given that you said 45 mile trip and that you only had a few miles left when you got pulled over). Sorry man, I can't feel any sympathy for you on this one, even if you were pulled over for what you call a BS reason.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 AM

I'm not asking for sympathy, in fact I'm not really worried about the case that much because of the 4th Amendment implications. I'll take a reckless happily when and if they offer it, or go to trial otherwise.

Just noticed this thread and was chiming in on my thoughts on where our rights as American Citizens are going and the fact that I lost my license in MN already before actually being convicted. It's a sad world when our rights get violated on the basis that it is a "holiday" so the cops should basically throw our Constitutional rights out the window to try to gain convictions. It makes me uncomfortable of the law in general wondering what any of them could do if they didn't like a person or were in a bad mood. They can basically say or do anything and make something stick on someone unless that person is someone willing and able to throw down large amounts of $$ on a lawyer. It's B.S. at it's finest.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 AM

Prana, I'm curious. Your second citation seems to imply that one could have ADDED appearances of alcohol on a breathalyzer due to the low carb diet and ketosis, correct?

Why, then, does the first article say this?

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, the effects of alcohol and ketosis are not additive. In fact, alcohol shuts off the process of ketosis. So, if you are following a ketogenic diet and have a drink then see the blue flashing lights in your rear-view mirrors, you’ll probably be okay. If you are following a ketogenic diet to the letter and see the lights, you might be in for some trouble. If you should find yourself in that position and have a reading that exceeds 0.08 mg/dL, just tell the officer that you want a blood test for alcohol, which will show a blood level of zero (assuming you really haven’t been drinking), and you should be exonerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

So while the second article says that the ketosis/acetone WILL add to the BAC, the first article you cited does not. Am I missing something, or did that really just happen? Since you cited both articles and are so sure your rights have been tremendously violated, kindly help me out on this one?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 AM

First - This has nothing to do with my "rights being tremendously violated" at all. Way to group them together though.

Second - While I'm no genius on the subject having found out about ketosis diets from the Men's Health TNT Plan on menshealth.com recently and just found the BAC links tonight, I think that if you were in ketosis for say two weeks so you had a build up of ketones in your system and therefore heightened acetone levels, that having a drink wouldn't immediately cause acetone to cease to exist in your system though carbs could stop the ketosis process temporarily because your glycogen stores would temporarily be filled. I'm not sure either if they are just talking about alcohol with carbs in it either as I drank liquor with diet soda (no carbs)which are actually permitted in ketosis on the men's health tnt diet program and the doctor running the forum involved in that diet plan on mens health says nothing at all about his list of acceptable alcoholic beverages causing ketosis to stop.

FWIW I have used ketosis strips the day before I've had alcohol and had moderate to high levels of ketones in my urine and again the day after having alcohol and still had moderate to high levels of ketones in my urine so there would be a heightened acetone level in my body still.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 AM

I say it just about every time this type of thread comes up, but MADD has morphed from one person's grief and the motivation to do some good into a group of vicious, lying neo-prohibitionists.