Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]
84 Charlie MoPic is an incredible movie. it's a fake vietnam documentary that follows a recon team behind enemy lines, shot in blair witch style (it precedes blair witch, though). incredible performances by the actors, and it will leave you shocked and troubled. it's shot on a very low budget--$10k I heard--and hit me way harder than any other war movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been pimping this on 2+2 for years, first I've seen it mentioned by anyone else. Good film.

Zombie aka zombi 2 just for the zombie vs. shark scene.

Some "good" troma movies: Terror firmer, sgt kaubukiman, cannibal the musical, tales from the crapper.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM

SAFE MEN

paul giamatti as veal chop
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Boy and His Dog - Awesome movie with a really young Don Johnson and a dog that talks to him in his head and can sniff out women in a post-apocalyptic world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily a top ten SciFi movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except absolutely not and terribly hacky.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 PM

Red Rock West and a non-obscure obscure one Pitch Black. Def the best Sci-Fi movie in recent years.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 AM

Wolf Creek.

Scary Australians.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Boy and His Dog - Awesome movie with a really young Don Johnson and a dog that talks to him in his head and can sniff out women in a post-apocalyptic world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily a top ten SciFi movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except absolutely not and terribly hacky.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the best ending ever - "that was the best meal I ever had". I lol'ed.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Aussies will know this but most others won't

Breaker Morant ... great must see movie

Harry Morant: Shoot straight, you bastards - don't make a mess of it!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I haven't seen two of my recent favorites mentioned (perhaps they aren't as obscure as I thought), Brick and Hard Candy.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any of these favorite's of mine were mentioned so far. Perhaps "The Last Seduction" and "Ulee's Gold" aren't that obscure but for some reason most of these movies didn't do all that well in theaters.

One False Move

A Simple Plan

Red Rock West

The Last Seduction

Trees Lounge

Ulee's Gold

A few people mentioned Lone Star. That's one I'd give that one at least five stars.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, make it to the last page with so many good ones, and Rick steals at least 3

One False Move - Billy Bob Thornton script about a small town crime spree that sends bumpkin sheriff to the big city. Michael Beach is absolutely terrifying as the most psychotic of the criminals.

Last Seduction - Directed by John Dahl (Rounders). Linda Fiorentino reaches about a 145 on the ten point scale of "terrifyingly hot". Good performances by Peter Berg (who knew?) and Bill Pullman as well.

Lone Star has been mentioned several times, and it remains one of my top five favorites of all time.

Can either Diggstown or Midnight Run be considered obscure? How about "Blood In: Blood Out"?

Loved Ghost Dog, but hated, hated, hated Dead Man.

"After Hours" is probably just old, rather than obscure.

"State & Main" is a fun little Mamet film.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM

I think people read the "must see" part and blew off the "obscure" part. I feel like if an older lady in south Louisiana saw it, no way it's obscure. Many of these films are actual classics, such as Harold and Maude, Blue Velvet, or Badlands, as far from obscure as you can get, they probably teach them in school. I've even seen Primer, an obvious (albeit well done) home movie. In fact, Z is one I remember from childhood, as in my MOM saw it in the theater and moaned about how terrible it was. I mean in the theater in like South Carolina or somewhere. So it can't be that obscure.

One film mentioned that I have never forgotten from the time I saw it in the theater in the 1970s is the Herzog film about Kaspar Hauser. The version I saw in southeast Louisiana was called "Everyman for Himself and God against All" which is apparently a famous German saying. A beautiful film. I suspect all of the versions are the same and that different titles were supplied to different markets. A title with "God against all" in it probably wouldn't play in Peoria in those days but might be OK in a more Catholic/liberal film environment. That's just my guess though.

Another small film not yet mentioned that I probably think of every day is Glen and Randa -- to the girl he got pregnant: "why can't you go ahead and have them while they are still small?" Girl: "i don't know how to do that" -- but again if I've seen it, it can't be that obscure. Worth seeing though. Quite moving.

While we're mentioning movies that are not quite obscure but that you should see anyway, how come no one yet has mentioned "Liquid Sky?" Shrimp before duty, my friends, shrimp before duty.