Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP on ESPN thread (10/10) ($2500 SH and $2000 NL)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One more thing: somewhere there's an alternate universe where Carlos wins his coinflip and goes on to make this exact same play. I wonder what the response to that is, from us internet donks. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhh, Carlos wouldn't make this play. Nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

mortensen and duck, hu for bankrolls!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 PM

The problem with analyzing televised hands is you get no clue about the table history or texture. You can run the math and argue whether Vanessa's all-in with 52o is +EV or not, but it skips the larger picture.

I don't know what exactly was happening at the table before then. If Vanessa was running over the table and picking up easy chips, it might have been better to just fold to the reraise and continue to profit the easier way. She didn't, though, and I find it hard to fault her for that. It took serious guts to shove there.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 PM

52s hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM

I am a friend of that Chang guy and was watching the table live. Knowing what you know now, was wondering what you thought of his play. Blinds were 12/24k w/4k ante. Selbst had about 700k, Chang had about 500k and Peterson had about 900k at the time. Selbst had been playing LAG and made the raise to 66k UTG. Folds to Chang on the button and he picks up TT. Would you have just called or raised? And if raise, how much and why?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't know why its OK for everyone to say liebert is a man and not this heshewhatever

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

#1 I love that girl. So for that reason alone you can go F*ck yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now if someone said that to you, they'd get banned, right....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually your wrong about that, but since it seems to be a common misconception I'll explain. If it was a regular contributing poster you would be very wrong, its fine if that kind of activity is used at the tight time in the right place and it is not overused. If it was a new poster who comes across purely as a troll then they would be warned, and if trollish activity continues then he would receive a suspension. It becomes banable only if the user becomes belligerent.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 AM

Just saw those episodes, here's what i think.

A)Except for a KQ call at the beginning when Hachem had a lot of chips and it's unlikely that Boyd is ahead here, i like his game.It's obvious from the few hands shown that he was totally dominating the table and picked up tons of small pots, so his opponents frustrated.People could make those moves at him with a very wide range.He said it himself - i only need one time to win it all and if you combine all the hands together - i like my chances.
Whenever Hachem had the best hand, he was allin and about 3 to 1 favorite or less.
You go as 3 to 1 favorite 4 times in a row, when one loss means your opponent is won it all, you are actually the underdog overoll.He was probably bullying Hachem with allins a lot of times and had the chips to afford making allin moves with dominated hands.

I think, the key hand was when Hachem tryed to make a stand with T7o and Boyd reraised him allin.
That showed, how much he just ran over the other guys and how much they were "fed up" with him.

B)About 52s play - it was bad.Not because "Zomg, 52 is a horrible hand", but because an analogy with a previous shown event.Vanessa was the Boyd of the table and noone had respect for her raising range.Especially since that chip leader was forced to laydown the best hand twice before and was getting frustrated.I'd imagine he calls here with AQs-K, 99+.
There is absolutely no need to make this play when you are considered a bully of the table with cards that are in a horrible shape vs any pocket pair.

As it was the case with Furst - Vos got hugely likely with his J6o and got the chips to go HU.But once he made it there (and it's true, we only saw 2 hands, but still), i think he used his LAG image wisely vs Lee and extracted the maximum value from his good hands.

Lee seemed to play solid before the HU, but then melted.
That allin move on a 4 to flush board was a total spew.
You have a second pair.Your opponent is hugely pot commited.
He is not gonna fold a better hand here.
Either call or fold.Why give him more chips?

And i don't know whether Vos showed the capability to bluff on 3 consecutive streets, but the final hands didn't seem like a plce to go bust as well with only 2 to 1 chip disadvantage.
The blinds weren't even that high and there were 2 overs to his 6s.
Wtf are you doing, kid, smooth calling preflop and then being a calling station with your low pair?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vanessa was the Boyd of the table and noone had respect for her raising range.Especially since that chip leader was forced to laydown the best hand twice before and was getting frustrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

life lesson: don't believe everything you see on tv.

peterson had been reraised twice the entire 5 hours i was at the table, but they chose to show those out of 5 hands they showed on tv.

i had not raised for 2-3 orbits and the past couple times before that, i'd been reraised and had folded.

i also made some pretty tough laydowns, including TT to one bet and AJs preflop to a reraise...

i reraised preflop one time before this, that was K2o...

i could go on, point should be clear. espn took 52s, wanted to paint an image of me as a crazy kid... that's fine. just don't believe everything you see on tv.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM

Well, that's puts things in a little different perspective.

If you saw the footage, you'd probably come to my conclusion as well, but in any case - i read the topic, and people who were railbirding the event wrote, that everyone was saying "when is someone gonna call that girl?".
I think, in poker, people actually have a long term memory as opposed to real life.
If your image is tight, it would take a lot of crazy moves to change it.
If you are labeled as "GusHansenish", you might not play a hand for an hour, but when you come in with a raise, everyone will still say "Oh, here he goes again, bluffing with junk".

I know, Chad is taking this whole "young crazy agressive kids" too far for the average tv viewer, and i was trying to analyze the hand from a poker player point of view.
I realise, that you were trying to resquize here and it's not a bad move in general, but it was unnesseccary, IMO with your chip stack, overall image and the actions in the hand so far.
I am sure, you think you made a mistake yourself.

Anyway, it was nice to see a girl at the final table, and playing a total opposite to usual female nitty style too (no offence), i personally enjoyed watching you play even though i didn't know you are a fellow 2+2er [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]