Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move?
Shove it 25 89.29%
Call 2 7.14%
Fold 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Official statement from PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
If they're still talking it over with their lawyers, that's not a good sign either. What lawyer is going to make as their final recommendation to their client, "keep doing what is considered illegal by the U.S. Government". More likely, they're going over details of how to extricate themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Saying that Stars management is talking to lawyers is like saying the sun will come up tomorrow. What exactly was the alternative possibility?

Of course they are talking to lawyers. Can you imagine any possible way of responding to this situation that doesn't involve lots of lawyers?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

Shakespeare
Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 AM

Stars seems to me to be following the worst course with a "wait and see" attitude. Wait and see for what? The bill is going to get signed. And if they are going to wait for the financial regulations to come out and see what effect that has on players getting cash in, then they are taking the legal risk for nothing if they decide to bail later, because the US gov't will still have deemed them to be doing something illegal in the interim.

Also, to the player who quoted player figures for Absolute above, you are full of [censored]. Absolute is a SMALL site. Check out pokersitescout.com for true *cash* game player figures not inflated by play money or tourney table players.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course they are talking to lawyers. Can you imagine any possible way of responding to this situation that doesn't involve lots of lawyers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bodog's?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:50 AM

Nate,

"I'm not sure that PartyPoker and 888 did themselves justice my making a decision in essentially 24 hours."

It's silly to think that PartyPoker, a multibillion dollar public corporation, just made a hasty off-the-cuff decision here. I would wager a large amount that they have had a number of top-caliber lawyers and strategists working out the relative merits of various scenarios that might take place and the actions Party could take. It is very likely that they acted this fast simply because they had already worked out exactly what they felt was their best move in this specific scenario.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

"I'm not sure that PartyPoker and 888 did themselves justice my making a decision in essentially 24 hours."

It's silly to think that PartyPoker, a multibillion dollar public corporation, just made a hasty off-the-cuff decision here. I would wager a large amount that they have had a number of top-caliber lawyers and strategists working out the relative merits of various scenarios that might take place and the actions Party could take. It is very likely that they acted this fast simply because they had already worked out exactly what they felt was their best move in this specific scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your assumption is that Party is run be smart rational people. This would normally be a good assumption for a billion dollar company, but in this case, it's not. Over the past year or so, Party has shown a propensity to make poorly thought out decisions. These bad decisions haven’t hurt them much because the company had overall positive momentum. Essentially, because they have the ability to advertise on a large scale and the credibility of being the largest room, their poor decisions, which were driving players away and making the room objectively less attractive, were negated by there ability to attract new players and individual player’s inertia to continue to play at the same site.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

Party?!?!?

ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER! ROTFLMAOCOPTER!

[Pineapple dies.]
Old 10-04-2006, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be slow tonight, it took me almost a full minute to catch the sarcasm in this one.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be slow tonight, it took me almost a full minute to catch the sarcasm in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess he got me. Nice one.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]
POTY