Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Official 2006 US Tennis Open

[ QUOTE ]
Federer looks relatively human today. Roddick can win this match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still seems like a long shot. When Roddick really hit his stride he only managed a single break and the set was still a squeaker.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a weird match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

With Roddick serving almost 70% on first serve w/his cannon you'd think he'd be winning easily, yet Federer has twice as many aces and over 20 more winners.

Gotta give (the real)A-Rod credit. He's playing aggressive, going to the net, nothing to lose. I thought the Connors-as-coach was a last gasp, panic-gimmick, but it obviously has worked brilliantly so far.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 PM

I hear people complaining about the replay because it's computer generated, which leaves doubt in many peoples minds.

So, why not just setup highspeed cameras on the lines? I have never actually seen a highspeed camera so I don't know how big they are. Is this impractical?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear people complaining about the replay because it's computer generated, which leaves doubt in many peoples minds.

So, why not just setup highspeed cameras on the lines? I have never actually seen a highspeed camera so I don't know how big they are. Is this impractical?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cameras are already there to give the input to the computers. The difference between computers and no-computers is the judging of whether it is in or not, I think.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 PM

It's over. Roddick ran out of gas.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's over. Roddick ran out of gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. That was Roddick's chance. Federer hasn't been at his best that often today, but it's been enough.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cameras are already there to give the input to the computers. The difference between computers and no-computers is the judging of whether it is in or not, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good question, but I think the issue is that high speed cameras are not able to capture all the moments that the ball touches the ground, compresses, skids slightly, and then rebounds. The computers analyze a sequence of images to reconstruct a ball path and then produce an in-out call.

A camera might get two images: one where the ball is getting really close to touching the ground, and another where the ball slid a few centimeters off the line (after it first touched the line).
Old 09-10-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennis replay>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> Football replay [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2006, 07:21 PM

I feel like there has been an insane amount of dominance in sports since I've been alive (Tiger, Bonds, Jordan, Gretzky), but this is pretty ridiculous.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like there has been an insane amount of dominance in sports since I've been alive (Tiger, Bonds, Jordan, Gretzky), but this is pretty ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Federer's competition is almost ridiculously weaker than Tiger's, with the rather large exception of Nadal on clay (which is better than any non-Cablanasian golfer on anything).

The number 3 ranked tennis player is Ivan Ljujbic. The number 3 ranked golfer is Jim Furyk. Case closed.

Or, game, set and match, rather.