Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Week-long prop bet

Anyone --

Will my standard pokertracker (I don't have anything SNG-specific) let me produce graphs? And if so, what do I need to download?

--Nate
Old 01-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Hey Nate, new prop bet.

I bet you can't turn $1,000 into $10,000 in a day.

$10!

Gogogogo!

Congrats too! Forgot that part.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Congrats Nate. Earlier you said if anyone is interested, you'd provide the hand history during this.. I wouldn't mind seeing it if its not too big of a hassle.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone --

Will my standard pokertracker (I don't have anything SNG-specific) let me produce graphs? And if so, what do I need to download?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]
you need to download a small app. google poker patterns.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how much money did you bet on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

$300.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

thats pretty dumb, if your good enough beat NL50 which i'm guessing is the highest level you will play at in this bet, your loosing at least that much in waisted time playing the micro stakes.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Mark--

Yeah, I'll work on getting the HHs in some form. I'll also dig up some statistics pretty soon. Though I'll probably eat lunch and maybe take a nap first. I can tell you that there are 564 files of relevant hand histories, so (# SNGs) + (# cash game tables) = 564.

So... that was a lot of SNGs.

--Nate
Old 01-19-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Nate. Earlier you said if anyone is interested, you'd provide the hand history during this.. I wouldn't mind seeing it if its not too big of a hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

um he played like 60hrs much of it 8tabling

it def wasn't a 5 10 20 40 80 160 320 640 winner thing
Old 01-19-2007, 05:46 PM

wow nate this is very impressive, congrats on your win.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 PM

For the time being:

I started at $.02/$.04 limit. Then I lost my way down to $2.15, so I moved to no-limit, where I played the lowest-variance $.01/$.02 NL I could. Not that it kept me from making a bluff for over 35% of my bankroll at one point. Eventually I took a shot at a $1.50 SNG.

My basic plan, SNG-wise, was to try to leave 20 buyins in reserve at the next lower level after the $1.75s. The $1.75s I played as long as I had, I think, $15 left over.

My goal all along was to get to the $6.50x45's as soon as possible and grind the crap out of them. Until I hit that point -- I switched to them near-exclusively around the $175 mark -- I played basically any SNG that would go, and had the most success with (and consequently played more of) the regular-speed multitables. The goals were to keep lots of tables going and to fight tedium. Quick impressions:

$1.75 two-table NLO8 -- Even softer than the analogous NLHE two-tables. Also pushbottable, unlike PLO8 SNGs.

Microstakes triple draw SNGs -- in theory the variance should be too high to beat the rake by much, but the play is so bad that these are beatable. Also, 2/6 pay, so you're often either done quick or in the money.

$3 mix-game/razz SNGs -- limit SNGs get a bad name but they're worth considering.

And from there I was just trying to get together a 45-man SNG bankroll.

Also, I need to point out that I made a huge mistake (from a financial perspective) in all this -- I probably could have gotten someone to lay me better than even money. Really, I had the perfect bet; at the beginning I considered myself roughly a 5:2 favorite but it was sensational enough that people didn't think I could do it. I have no idea what my actual chances of success were -- I know I didn't run terribly on day one but I did have to fight back from $2. Quick estimations dictate that I didn't exceed my lifetime winrate at the 45-man SNGs, so while I ran pretty well at the beginning of that phase my overall 45-man ROI wasn't particularly lucky. So I'm pretty sure I was a favorite in the bet and I left money on the table. It will be a while before I come up with another bet that people will be so willing to give me action on -- I probably could have made more of it.

--Nate
Old 01-19-2007, 05:49 PM

And just to confirm -- I have received the money from Noah. FoxwoodsFiend has been in touch with me already (and we've trusted each other with orders of magnitude more money than this before).

--Nate