Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Proposed internet poker ban in MA

[ QUOTE ]
Show me where in the legislation you find that OBG. The legislation is specific to "wagering." In poker we do wager on every hand. At world games you pay to play a game. Whoever wins the game wins the money the prize but you do not "wager" before every turn. There is no house rake either. I rhink you might make the case that a poker tournament is equivalent to what world games does but you would not be able to make the case for ring games. At least that is how I'm understanding the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wagering is different from betting, sobefuddled. The new law prohibits all internet wagering. Were you and I to bet $20 on which of us has a better score at the end of our next round of golf, you and I have "wagered" despite the fact that almost everyone agrees golf is a game of skill and no additional betting occurs while we play golf. So when you pay whatever $ to wordwinner to compete in a solitaire contest, you have wagered that amount of $.

In ringpoker, the distinction is meaningless because the amount wagered on the outcome and the amount bet as part of playing the game are one and the same. But that does not make ring game poker any less a game of skill.

Skallagrim
Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Go back to the beginning of this thread with the actual legislation posted, it states ANT bet or wager on the internet.

You have come into this late.

Rather a raked by the hand game or by the tournament, it is the same.

At WW they have a house fee, actually quite large, 25%, per game.

And yes, some, at least one game is by the hand, you can play Spades, heads up against the house, by the deal, er hand.

Your play is compared to others playing the same, against the computer, not even against another player.

Bottom line, wagering is, well, wagering on the internet and that ALL will be illegal.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
Show me where in the legislation you find that OBG. The legislation is specific to "wagering." In poker we do wager on every hand. At world games you pay to play a game. Whoever wins the game wins the money the prize but you do not "wager" before every turn. There is no house rake either. I rhink you might make the case that a poker tournament is equivalent to what world games does but you would not be able to make the case for ring games. At least that is how I'm understanding the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM

I never thought of myself as linguistically challenged but I must be because I don't see the difference here. I do not deny that poker is a game of skill. I know for a fact that it is. I have yet to find a book called "The Mathematics of Bingo."
WRT the difference between Wager and bet help me. In a former life I taught English, not law. Here is what I understand about the two words:
wa·ger (wā'jər)
n.

An agreement under which each bettor pledges a certain amount to the other depending on the outcome of an unsettled matter.
A matter bet on; a gamble.
Something staked on an uncertain outcome; a bet. See synonyms at bet.
Archaic. A pledge of personal combat to resolve an issue or case.

v., -gered, -ger·ing, -gers.

v.tr.
To risk or stake (an amount or a possession) on an uncertain outcome; bet.

v.intr.
To make a bet.

[Middle English, from Anglo-Norman wageure, from Old North French wagier, to pledge, from wage, pledge. See wage.]

An agreement usually between two parties that the one who has made an incorrect prediction about an uncertain outcome will forfeit something stipulated to the other; a wager.
An amount or object risked in a wager; a stake.
One on which a stake is or can be placed: Our team is a sure bet to win.

A plan or an option considered with regard to its probable consequence: Your best bet is to make reservations ahead of time.
Informal. A view or opinion, especially about something that cannot be known at the present time: My bet is that the rain will hold off. My bet is he didn't do it.

v., bet or bet·ted, bet·ting, bets.

v.tr.
To stake (an amount, for example) in a bet.
To make a bet with: I bet them that we would be first.
To make a bet on (a contestant or an outcome).
Old 11-12-2007, 06:19 PM

OK, so what part of 'wagering' on a game of solitaire, where the outcome is uncertain are you having a problem understanding?

There is no certainty in the winner; chance, error, ect in moving cards to expose the under cards in solitaire.

At WW, a person pays money to play, I.E. wagers money on who can play ther game better, the house takes a cut.

obg
Old 11-12-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Facts are a funny thing D$D, particularly in the political world [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a shame they often don't matter at all. Things would be so much eaiser.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

But then you'd be out of work [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Facts are a funny thing D$D, particularly in the political world [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a shame they often don't matter at all. Things would be so much eaiser.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

But then you'd be out of work [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and so would a good portion of my neighbors!

Given my feelings of the "productive value" of the totality of our efforts, I'd feel much better doing something else, as long as everyone else did!

As it is reality again intrudes on the ideal.

D$D
Old 11-13-2007, 03:45 AM

Randy, you may want to consider sending out another request for letter writing that contains a linky to the Globe article. If people see that letter writing can make a difference it may encourage them to do their part.

Also, do you have phone numbers of PPA members? You may want to organize an effort where dedicated members call other members to encourage them to make their voice heard. I'd be willing to call at least a hundred people.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy, you may want to consider sending out another request for letter writing that contains a linky to the Globe article. If people see that letter writing can make a difference it may encourage them to do their part.

Also, do you have phone numbers of PPA members? You may want to organize an effort where dedicated members call other members to encourage them to make their voice heard. I'd be willing to call at least a hundred people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to help making both member contacts and other calls as well.

Let me know,

D$D
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM

Who would vote for Deval anyway? You should have stayed in bed that day.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Randy et al,

I am good friends with the district director for congresswoman Niki Tsongas in Lowell. I know she is not part of state legislature, but the district director is very good friends with almost all of state senators/reps. I talked to him about everything today and he told me if I came up with a 1 page thing to say what the provision is, why it is bad, and what should be done instead, and he will present it to all the state senators and reps he knows. This includes Steven C. Panagiotakos, who apparently is most likely to be the next senate president.

I am not a good writer but if you guys can put together a really good one page summary then I can present it to the district director and do some real damage here in our favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

TE, John, Randy, and Bryan,

Please jump all over this offer!

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

ON it! I'll send a copy of the initial letter that we sent out. I think that pretty much covers everything. I'll add a few more points to spruce it up, ok? Please email me at ma@pokerplayersalliance.org and I will forward the letter to you pronto.

Thanks for your support and help!

All In,

Randy C~
MA PPA Rep