Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: looking to stake people part 3

[ QUOTE ]
steak me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft. i guess we can hand out another 100nl stake.

..but we get 200% of your winnings.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
steak me!!

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft. i guess we can hand out another 100nl stake.

..but we get 200% of your winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was hoping more for this:

Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM

we obv cant afford a steak like that.

please don't be ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would u want to stake a winning player, wouldn't they already have a ton of money to play with. this thread is confusing. unless u think someone who beats low stakes is suddenly ready for med stakes i don't get this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. I can understand staking for big MTTs. The fields are incredibly soft, most decent players are +EV, but the variance is insane. Therefore, staking a large number of players results in reduction in variance for both parties.

In cash games I kinda think this is a really bad idea. The games are much harder, and NL cash is about as low variance as poker gets (even tho it can still be pretty sick sometimes). The vast majority of the players who need a stake would have to have a serious flaw as a player, be it poor play, poor tilt control or poor bankroll management. I'd imagine an actual solid, winning player who doesn't have a roll for whatever legit reason is very rare, and of those many would rather rebuild than accept a stake - I know I would.

But jfish and Pasterbator are pretty smart guys, maybe they're thinking about this a little differently. GL to all involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and would like to hear their thoughts on this.

[/ QUOTE ]How about those of us forced to withdraw large percents of our roll every 3-4 months? I'm winning at just over 5 PTBB/100 over my last 70K hands, but am still only rolled for 200NL. Grad school, plus a job that doesn't pay much of anything, does not allow me to build my roll and afford the variance that is so prevelent when trying to move up levels.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would u want to stake a winning player, wouldn't they already have a ton of money to play with. this thread is confusing. unless u think someone who beats low stakes is suddenly ready for med stakes i don't get this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. I can understand staking for big MTTs. The fields are incredibly soft, most decent players are +EV, but the variance is insane. Therefore, staking a large number of players results in reduction in variance for both parties.

In cash games I kinda think this is a really bad idea. The games are much harder, and NL cash is about as low variance as poker gets (even tho it can still be pretty sick sometimes). The vast majority of the players who need a stake would have to have a serious flaw as a player, be it poor play, poor tilt control or poor bankroll management. I'd imagine an actual solid, winning player who doesn't have a roll for whatever legit reason is very rare, and of those many would rather rebuild than accept a stake - I know I would.

But jfish and Pasterbator are pretty smart guys, maybe they're thinking about this a little differently. GL to all involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]How about those of us forced to withdraw large percents of our roll every 3-4 months? I'm winning at just over 5 PTBB/100 over my last 70K hands, but am still only rolled for 200NL. Grad school, plus a job that doesn't pay much of anything, does not allow me to build my roll and afford the variance that is so prevelent when trying to move up levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

holler. mise well post here who was chosen, no?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we obv cant afford a steak like that.

please don't be ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

to those concerned, i have staked a few people in cash games (as have the other 3) and it has gone well in the past. i think it is a +ev venture and if you are skeptical i probably dont blame you. however, i am working with jsnipes, pasterbator and josh - 3 verrrrrry good players and very good coaches. i am convinced we can make this a profitable arrangement for all parties in involved.

also tbh, poker isnt that hard of a game, especially at ssnl and lower msnl. high winrates are certainly still possible with coaching from experienced regulars.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not sure how many others are like me, but i was a broke college kid when i found poker. i'd grind for months and then take a break, living off my small fortune. party, read books, travel, read 2+2, play video games, etc. i've basically continued this routine for a while. if you're a solid winning player, you're capable of doing some other cool stuff in life. and, well, poker is a grind. the only time i'm motivated to play A+++ poker is when i'm broke (as lame as that sounds.)

btw: in regards to wanting to stake only active posters: I'm constantly on 2+2, but only post when i have something real useful to say. fwiw, i've got other accounts too, some with 500+ posts. hope my post count doesn't hurt my chances at the steak [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM

I need a stake... No [censored].. im doomswitched and on the verge of online busto...! i have all the info u might need.. PO stats etc...
Old 09-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I would apply, but I think I'm just going to get off my ass, play more than 10k hands this month and actually grind myself out a proper MSNL bankroll.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey ... I really hope that I'm not too late for this ...
In February I dropped out of high school to play full time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need staking, you need to get back in school right away. You are going to look back at the day you dropped out of school and regret it for the rest of your minimum wage earning life.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't NEED staking. I want coaching. Would you tell Lebron James to go back to school?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL go back to school plz
Closed Thread