Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

[ QUOTE ]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IyCsYuKnvWk

Four Weddings and a Funreal - pretty much any scene with Andie MacDowell in. She is the worst, most wooden actress ever. The absolute highlight has to be when Hugh Grant says he realised he totally loved the person standing in front of him in the rain (Andie MacDowell) and she replies 'Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed.....' Terrible line with absolutely god-awful delivery, I was laughing pretty hard when I first saw this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Staring contest between Andie MacDowell and Sean Young.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Goodfellas: The very last line of the film, right before they play Sid Vicious' version of 'My Way:' "I'm an average nobody... get to live the rest of my life like a schnook." SHNOOK? Isn't that Yiddish? Why the hell would Henry Hill use the word "shnook?" I just really wish it had been "typical mope" or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rewind a little further and you get the worst part of Goodfellas. The whole scene where he gets up from the witness stand to talk to me sucked SO BAD. I would put that right up there with one of the worst moments that I've ever seen in film. Just horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly considered citing this scene, as well, but then I realized that this film is a narration (by Henry Hill), and it is an acceptable device to have him step outside of the film at some point and address the camera.

I don't love the device, but it is not unheard of, and certainly not universally reviled.

More annoying was Kevin Costner addressing the camera in the trial scene in JFK.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My favorite movie, but this is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh did you just do real good! Excellent!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM

During Kujo's (Adam Goldberg) comic hallucination scene in "The Salton Sea," I will always go outside to stretch my legs. Good movie, but his character was mildly uninteresting at best...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:57 PM

I don't understand why she had to kiss him. But I'm even okay with that if Keira Knightley acted it better. She has this mouth open lusting look after the kiss that doesn't fit with the whole point of a great great great scene.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly hated every second of Sexy Beast that didn't have Ben Kingsley on screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opening credits, w/Winstone lounging around his pool while "Peaches" is playing, followed by his "People ask me if I miss England; [censored] no" voiceover rant, is one of my favorite beginnings of any movie. Great pairing of song w/a scene too, IMO.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 AM

From "Saved By The Bell" movie "The Vegas Wedding" - Belding says, "hey, hey, hey, heyyyyyy what is going on here?!?!" always hated that. He should've just let the gang be, so they can frollick and engage in shenanigans.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My favorite movie, but this is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always think that is a rectangle, not a square.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Legolas doing a boardslide down the [censored] stairs on a shield.
That, and playing Gimli for laughs.

I really hated how they tried to appeal to the demographic that probably didn't like The Fellowship of the Ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember which of the three films it was, but at some point, Legolas and Gimli are counting how many orcs they have each killed and making a game out of it. It seemed pretty corny to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think the dwarf tossing scene was necessary in the movie. I haven't read the book in years, but I clearly remember Gimli and Legolas having a competition over who killed the most orcs, but I don't recall anything about tossing a dwarf. I loved those movies, but I'm still not sure why they tried to turn Gimli into comedy relief when in the books he was a dour, grim, badass orc/goblin killing machine.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why they tried to turn Gimli into comedy relief when in the books he was a dour, grim, badass orc/goblin killing machine.

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess is that the studio did some market research and found that the teenage demographic didn't think it was funny enough or had enough "action", so they bastardized the 2nd movie to suit them.

By "action", I mean not the realistic swordplay that the movies had plenty of, but the ridiculously unrealistic crap that teenagers had come to expect from heroes (hence, Legolas doing a [censored] board slide down a staircase while firing off 5 shots with his bow).

They shot all 3 movies at the same time, but went back and did some additional shooting after the Fellowship was released. I can almost guarantee that the movie would've been far better without the added footage.