Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]

only thing is that i wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see them at a festival, i saw them in miami at ultra festival a couple years ago and it just wasn't the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's going to be that way for most bands you saw first at a small, intimate enviroment. I remember seeing Phish at some gym at Dartmouth and being 6 feet away from the guys, and my ears rang for 2 days. not the same as seeing them at Boston Garden or whatever.

Friday night I saw The National, very good show. my friend got me backstage at The Middle East in Cambridge, which is basically sidestage. here is a pic I took, I didn't use flash so it's dark.

In the foreground is the keyboard/violin player, I talked to him after the show for a couple minutes, was a cool guy. the singer did that 'hand on chin' thing for a lot of the show.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:05 AM

I completely whiffed on seeing them when they came here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I agree with those saying its a great CD, not with "best album of the year..." though.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM

This thread is always like a month ahead of me...

Is that Hot Chip DJ-Kicks album actually out?

Doesn't the Justice CD come out like 2 or 3 weeks from now?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM

Boxer is definitely a strong contender for AOTY in my opinion. I would certainly put Neon Bible over it, and it's v. close with We Were Dead...
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Ugh, 3 in a row. I'll stop after this.

Does anyone listen to Okkervil River at all? Maybe its just a case of me living under a rock, but I'd never heard of them until somewhat recently and really like their newest (2005) album, Black Sheep Boy. They are also releasing a new one in August. FWIW Pitchfork seems to have liked everything they've released.

Black Sheep Boy review at Pitchfork
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone listen to Okkervil River at all? Maybe its just a case of me living under a rock, but I'd never heard of them until somewhat recently and really like their newest (2005) album, Black Sheep Boy. They are also releasing a new one in August. FWIW Pitchfork seems to have liked everything they've released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big fan of their music. If you like them, check out Songs:Ohia or Jason Molina. Hell, throw in Smog or Richmond Fontaine, etc.

I'm digging the National now. And although I'm not generally a hippie, jamband fan normally, I really like the new ALO (Animal Liberation Orchestra) album called Roses & Clover.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is always like a month ahead of me...

Is that Hot Chip DJ-Kicks album actually out?

Doesn't the Justice CD come out like 2 or 3 weeks from now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot Chip DJ-Kicks was released in may, Justice - Cross comes out tomorrow I beleive, although D.A.N.C.E. was actually the free track on iTunes last week
Old 06-25-2007, 05:03 PM

If your a fan of wolf parade/sunset rubdown check out Handsome Furs. Side project of the lead singer of Wolf parade. Pretty solid CD in general. Not quite up there wiht Apologies to the Queen Mary but its worth listening to.

Handsome Furs

Also, Dr. Dog is becoming a new favorite band of mine. Definitely have an old school feel to them. Heres a song of theirs.

Dr. Dog
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big fan of their music. If you like them, check out Songs:Ohia or Jason Molina. Hell, throw in Smog or Richmond Fontaine, etc.

I'm digging the National now. And although I'm not generally a hippie, jamband fan normally, I really like the new ALO (Animal Liberation Orchestra) album called Roses & Clover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Songs: Ohia was renamed to Magnolia Electric Co. and will be releasing a 5 disc box set the first week of August. I listened to the new Okkervil River album, The Stage Names, and it sounds great too.

Also, John Vanderslice has a new album, Emerald City, that just released and if you liked his previous album, Pixel Revolt, you should like this one.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you haven't heard it, there's a track from last summer, justice vs simian mobile disco - we are your friends (original mix)
it's a great track if you like D.A.N.C.E.

[/ QUOTE ]
i haven't, but my musically inclined friend who insisted i listen to justice also got me to download some simian mobile disco when he was in town. i will look for this track.
Closed Thread