Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Meanwhile, I wanted to pipe in on the notion of throwing the ball. Danny Diliberto, a well-known pool player, used to offer the prop bet that he would play anyone at golf from 100 yards out where he threw the ball and his opponent used clubs. Danny was a former pro baseball player and claims to have never lost this bet. He says that around the greens, the clubs are a huge disadvantage versus the thrower.

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is he didn't make this bet very many times. a good player makes it in two there fairly often. to never lose, you'd have to sink it in 2 there almost every time.

chipping is the big advantage the thrower has. the dude with the clubs is at an advantage for the shot from 100 yards. and a good player almost never misses the green from 100 yards, so he's rarely gonna be chipping. for putting, against someone who actually putts well, the thrower's advantage is marginal at best.

and another thing is that it's gotta be pretty damn hard to throw a golf ball 100 yards. i'd guess that nobody can do it on a soft course with little roll, but i could be wrong on that. it's certainly impossible to be anywhere close to as accurate as someone with a golf club, particularly on fast greens.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is what he told me - that he never lost. It started when he somehow made a prop bet on throwing a ball from end zone to end zone on a football field and also managed to get 5-1 (or something) on whether he could throw a field goal. After he nailed the field goal he started making the prop bet for the 100yrd game with various good golfers and, like I said, he claimed to have never lost. I guess they did get it down in 2 once in a while, but not 18 times in a row. Meanwhile, he could make par pretty much every time.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Sounds like he knew exactly how far he could throw it (app. 100 yds.) every time, and got very good at getting down from 30 ft. or so....
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 AM

I was around a 15 handicap when I used to play often. From the reds with 3 attempts per shot, I would shoot around par very frequently. I think the result of this bet hinges on what kind of 15 handicapper Ivey is (assuming he is a 15). Some hit the ball short and straight and are very consistent, but simply can't reach the green in regulation. Some hit the ball long, but spray it quite a bit. With 3 shots per hole, the latter type of player has a better chance of putting up a solid score, especially with a bunch of nearly drivable par 4's and par 5's that can easily be reached in 2. I suspect being a young guy, this is the type of player Ivey is. So, if he really is a 15 and really can putt reasonably well, he will win.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 AM

I have action with Thremp...

If they play with Ivey getting 3 balls -- even money bet for a hundo, I take Ivey.

If they play with Ivey getting 2 balls -- 2:1 bet for a hundo, I take Ivey (two hundo to me if he wins).
Old 01-10-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have action with Thremp...

If they play with Ivey getting 3 balls -- even money bet for a hundo, I take Ivey.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd bet tons on ivey with this format, but unfortunately there's no way pavin would take this bet [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 AM

I did not read any of the replies, but I am a scratch golfer, and I would PWN THE [censored] outta a 15 handicap from the womens tees reguardless of 2 or 3 shots. A 15 handicap is really really [censored] bad...I'd guess left handed I might be a 15, and its pretty brutal.

Pavin FTW all day.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did not read any of the replies, but I am a scratch golfer, and I would PWN THE [censored] outta a 15 handicap from the womens tees reguardless of 2 or 3 shots. A 15 handicap is really really [censored] bad...I'd guess left handed I might be a 15, and its pretty brutal.

Pavin FTW all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. i'm worse than a 15 but i'll take the 3 shot scramble and give you 2 strokes a side in a stroke play format. i'll bet up to $50k.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM

Why do so many people think this 3shot thing would tire Ivey out? Ivey doesnt look so unsporty and if he works out regulary he can easily take 3 shots every hole - i really dont think thats a topic.

If you assume he plays optimally in theory (2putting) then you have 36 shots left you hit with your driver/woods/irons/wedges on every round * 3 you end up with 108 strokes and even if you take a practice swing every time thats really nothing.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pavin FTW all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. i'm worse than a 15 but i'll take the 3 shot scramble and give you 2 strokes a side in a stroke play format. i'll bet up to $50k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, fly to MN...my course has water on 23 of the 27 holes w/ many carries over water. I would guess a typical 15 handi would shoot about 72-76 from the reds w/ 2 balls. Probably 69-72 w/ 3. Provided it is not a windy/rainy day, this is no problem for me from the tips.

I could never bet more than 2k on a match tho as I have no way of knowing your actual ability, and it represents a decent chunk of money to me. But if ur in MN sometime I'd be down for some golf bets.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 AM

Uh, dude you would get rocked by a 15 with three shots from the ladies tees. This is not even debatable.

Tuco.