View Poll Results: What would you do with AA here
All-in 7 43.75%
Fold 8 50.00%
Call 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

I'd be surprised if anything can entice your wife to move to a foreign country she's never visited.

Is there a reason a vacation to Thailand is out of the question? Or is that the plan once the wife becomes more amenable to the idea? It just seems weird that your wife would be so hostile to the idea that she wouldn't even want to vacation there, but you think Degen can come up with something that will convince her.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be surprised if anything can entice your wife to move to a foreign country she's never visited.

Is there a reason a vacation to Thailand is out of the question? Or is that the plan once the wife becomes more amenable to the idea? It just seems weird that your wife would be so hostile to the idea that she wouldn't even want to vacation there, but you think Degen can come up with something that will convince her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, she knows I've got this thing for asian chicks, but I haven't been overly impressed by the pics I've seen of Thai women thus far (i.e. I'd be more inclined towards Japanese women)

I might be able to convince her to vacation. But should I really enjoy it down there and consider moving, what things might help entice my wife to also consider Thailand (i.e. what places should I take her, or what should I show her to make her fall in love with the place)
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?
Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

(edited to add question three)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thailand's not for you.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:17 PM

Great thread, thanks to everyone helping out. I was supposed to go earlier this month but my cousin backed out. Now I'm tryin to figure out what's next, more and more the plan seems like it should be 'buy ticket, details later'.

1. The specific penalties if you were caught gambling online, say in a cafe?

2. It was mentioned earlier drugs such as paxil are common, do you need a prescription from a local or are they otc? Does this include adderall or other amphetamines?

3. Any personal experiences with the recent coup? Was it similar to how it was reported in the U.S. media? Any worries about it in the future?

4. In regards to the 80k/yr tax exemption, it seems there would be a potential problem. If you report you are in Thailand playing poker yet gambling is illegal there, how does the IRS view this?

Also, I would be interested in any kind of 'baller mansion' project, especially if it was on one of the islands right on the beach. PM if any interest
Old 09-28-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill:

QUESTION THREE: I'm pretty picky about food, but like the simple stuff. Hamburgers, steak, chicken, mashed potatoes, french fries. I cannot stand seafood, not even fish sticks. How hard will it be for me to have a simple meal like I've described (capable of preparing myself if the food can be purchased)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thailand's not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there are mcdonalds and burger kings everywhere:P

-pug
Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, aren't you the guy that gives her a set allowance, and any further decisions must be approved by you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oy vey, exaggerated. I take a set percentage from her check each week because I'm responsible for paying ALL the bills that come in.

She gets to have some money that is "hers" that she can spend however she wishes, and her monetary contribution towards the bills is not even close to covering 50% of expenses, so I think I'm more than fair.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thailand's not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

well there are mcdonalds and burger kings everywhere:P

-pug

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In regards to the 80k/yr tax exemption, it seems there would be a potential problem. If you report you are in Thailand playing poker yet gambling is illegal there, how does the IRS view this?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a tax attorney, a CPA, or any of that. That being said...

I've got a good friend that lives in Argentina, and he's never mentioned it being a problem. It seems intuitive to me that the IRS wouldn't go to the trouble of figuring out the legal status of online poker in every jurisdiction on earth, and then, when deemed illegal, narc you out to local authorities.

If you were worried about something other than trouble from the Thai government, what would it be, when we're talking about the IRS reading "online poker" on your return? Whether, as an illegal activity in the local jurisdiction, its not exempt?

fwiw, I know my friend got his return from his first year, no problems. I do not know how he reported his income, only that he reported it.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. In regards to the 80k/yr tax exemption, it seems there would be a potential problem. If you report you are in Thailand playing poker yet gambling is illegal there, how does the IRS view this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the IRS will care. I actually think with the IRS you report everything regardless of its legality. I think drug dealers are actually supposed to report.
Closed Thread