Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: AP infinity plus one - New AP Statement

Folks,

There is already ample evidence of criminal activity, so it's past time law enforcement were involved. Here's how you can help if you actually want something good to come of all this:

1) If you are a witness to Popcorngate at the WSOP: make a call to the Vegas police. Stealing $10k raised for a children's hospital (!) is, unsurprisingly, a very serious criminal offence.

2) If you were affected by Potripper & Co; call the Costa Rican police. Theft is theft. (NB: Returning the stolen money doesn't negate the offence. Otherwise, robbing banks would be a lot more common...)

3) If you think Mark Seif defrauded you out of money - and if you think he was in the US at the time of the alleged offence - call the Feds.

The 'new, improved, we-want-to-do-the-right-thing-now' AP should have done all these things already, of course.

They haven't, 'cos they aren't.

QED.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The KGC gets only $10,000 per year from each gambling opearator

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. The figure I saw in a public document was $5K up front and 3K a month for each entity - and this quite possibly includes *skins*.

Note that I may be mistaken because if I were a reporter at this point, I'd have three notebooks filled with this [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
So, the issue of this "consultant" who got caught, yet, not prosecuted, intrigues me. Anybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]

again, "consultant" = AJ Green, who was thoroughly not just consulting. looking back at my previous posts, it shouldn't be hard to figure out why they won't name him or his position.

[ QUOTE ]
.. and if the releases were issued by Scott Tom - is AP still claiming the cheating was perpetrated by a(nother) consultant?

One of Aps many problems right now is, that EITHER they have to explain their earlier lying press-releases OR they have to admit that they were made by someone in their management who was then involved in the cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. With that said, I fully agree with you re: their problems.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks for ruining poker?

Me?

Not AP?

You total moron! You just keep your head in the sand and hope people don't watch ABC or read MSNBC - or is everyone who says anything about this criminal excuse of a site 'ruining poker' as well? Nat? Adanthar? Everyone but you and AP, maybe?

Some of us actually want the game to survive and prosper. you would let it rot from the inside out until it collapses in a pile of it's own filth, never to recover.

Bravo, brainiac.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw another non-secret which should surprise absolutely no one is that the first several of those press releases were issued by Scott Tom. again, duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar, if this is true and it's also true that Scott Tom will only be "temporarily removed" (or whatever you want to call it), then that means the people involved in the cheating scandal will not only not face criminal prosecution, not only will their site not lose business (according to the figures shown), but the cheaters will be allowed to remain in their positions. You can say all you will about Absolute Poker becoming clean going forward and having "transparency", but Absolute Poker can easily just create a facade of "transparency". That is why Absolute poker must go down. There must be some precedent set, not only for Absolute Poker but for all pokersites, that if a poker site (or a few high-ups at a poker site) cheats they will face legitimate consequences. As of now I don't see any.

[/ QUOTE ]

My source on the "Tom will be temporarily removed" thing was brsavage's post on P5's, where he said that Green would be banned forever/Tom would be suspended by the KGC. I had no reason to doubt it and would very obviously never play at AP again myself if it was true (lol @ playing at a site where you exposed the owner as a fraud. vendetta much?)

Since then, I've heard from multiple sources at AP that Tom is permanently gone. I do not know who is right, but I would assume that they're either buying him out or at least not stupid enough to ever allow him back into operational control at this point.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
“Upon learning of the incident, AP immediately contacted Gaming Associates,

[/ QUOTE ]
"immediately" = "about a month later" ???

[ QUOTE ]

2. AP has fully corrected the problem that allowed its system to be unfairly manipulated and is working to enhance its existing safeguards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last I check, they didn't fire those in charge of security who CLEARLY were asleep at the wheel. If they weren't incompetant and not doing their jobs, then they knew about it and were covering it up. One way or another, those in charge of security at AP *MUST* be fired or their statements regarding how "dedicated" they are to security have no credibility.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: New AP Statement

[ QUOTE ]
9. AP is instituting strict guidelines to restrict its employees, consultants and contractors and members of their households from playing for money on its sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be necessary for all sites, imo.

(Haven't read the thread, that just popped out at me.)
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Unfortunately, knowledge of this scandal isn't exactly reaching as much of the poker community as we had hoped.

Here's an example:

I played at 100-200 at Bellagio last night. Of the 8 others at the table, 6 of them knew NOTHING of the AP scandal, 1 knew most of the story, and 1 knew some of the story (i.e. that cheating had occurred but not that the ownership of AP was involved). This was particularly disturbing, given that 5 of the people were regulars who play at Bellagio EVERY DAY. Most of the responses I got were something along the lines of, "Well, now you don't know why I don't play online ever, blah blah...."

Also: Mark Seif was playing 1 table over from me. He saw me and shot an angry look in my direction. We didn't say anything to one another. I have a feeling I won't be getting that apology any time soon.

Also: AP is indeed processing cashouts. I got my final wire yesterday. I do believe they will make good on their financially-related promises. I just don't have a lot of faith in the site being run honestly from this point forward.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Dan,

That's actually fine example of the news spreading within the greater poker community. Good for you.

What's needed now is for the news to spread to law enforcement as well.

(BTW, if that's true about Seif's reaction on seeing you - that's quite astonishing. How could he not apologise in that situation, even if quietly and privately? How could he not say anything at all? If I were him I'd have been the loudest man there. Wow.)
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 PM

You don't let a murderer go free without punishment because he claims he found God and won't do it again, even if his claims are 100% true. It would completely undermine the justice system. This would set a precedent that anyone could commit a murder, and then claim they found God and won't do it again and go free.

Anyone who knowingly still plays on Absolute Poker, even if they believe it will be 100% clean going forward, is undermining any justice that the online poker community has. Sure, Absolute Poker going down will be bad for the public's perception of online poker, but it will be infinitely times worse for online poker if it survives, setting a precedent that any site can cheat its players and get away with it.

The best thing for online poker(besides poker being regulated in the US) is for the poker community to stand together and boycott AP, making an example of them, and thus sending a message to all pokersites that "any poker site who cheats us WILL go out of business". It's the only card the online poker community seems to have, and unfortunately we aren't using it.

Unfortunately, as Dan Druff stated though, most people are still in the dark about this issue, which is why I really hope ESPN places their next article on the matter on their homepage.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Any consideration to the thought that AP began offering high interest bearing accounts to its costumers as a way to try to attract more high stakes players to their site, basically knowing they were going to fleece them anyway with their superuser abilities?