Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: The official Borat Movie Thread

[ QUOTE ]
best scene that I'm surprised no one has mentioned was the antique store. physical comedy at it's finest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, how this thread went 250+ posts without that getting a mention is surprising. It was serious LOL time when he slipped and slid and wrecked half of that room, and on top of it all tried to pay with future shipments of pubic hair.

Also, it's not surprising that people that seem to be nits (politics posters, Canadians, daryn) didn't enjoy this film. I'd be more worried if they did.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:48 AM

Posted on IMDB. A slightly different perspective on things.

[ QUOTE ]
I just finished reading an article about how the villagers in Glod, a tiny Romanian village, appear to have been deceived into doing humiliating things so others could have a good laugh and profit at their expense. Here's a snippet, "Disabled Nicu Tudorache said: This is disgusting. They conned us into doing all these things and never told us anything about what was going on. They made us look like primitives, like uncivilized savages. Now they,re making millions but have only paid us 15 lei (around £3)." The tragic thing about all of this is that these villagers are desperately poor and they were taken advantage of by a multi-millionaire.

This isn't about comedy, this isn't about movie-making, this isn't about "getting it". This is simply about how you treat a fellow human being and from the looks of it, the people that made this film have a huge lesson to learn. I wouldn't give a penny to see this film and a boycott of all future ventures wouldn't be out of the question. You can find the article with a search at www.dailymail.co.uk The title of the article is: Borat Film 'Tricked' Poor Village Actors By Bojan Pancevski and Carmiola Ionescu. Here's a snippet: "While the rest of the crew based themselves in the motel, Baron Cohen stayed in a hotel in Sinaia, a nearby ski resort a world away from Glod's grinding poverty. He would come to the village every morning to do 'weird things', such as bringing animals inside the run-down homes, or have the village children filmed holding weapons.

Mr Tudorache, a deeply religious grandfather who lost his arm in an accident, was one of those who feels most humiliated. For one scene, a rubber sex toy in the shape of a fist was attached to the stump of his missing arm - but he had no idea what it was."

This is truly disgusting. Those that dehumanize others, are themselves, the most inhumane.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-12-2006, 04:05 AM

Jasper:

Next thing you are going to report is that they don't actually have a "Running of the Jew" either.

Seriously, take your hippie bullcrap out of here. This movie was hilarious and these people should be happy they got to help make history.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 AM

saw this movie for the 2nd time the other night and it was even better the 2nd time.

i'm surprised there are people here on 2p2 that do not like it. curious to hear what you think is funny
Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of his jokes are anti-Jew. His jokes are making fun of people who are anti-Jew.

Take the scene with the bed & breakfast Jewish couple. In no way is he joking about them -- he's pointing out how nice they are, which is why it's ridiculous when people are anti-Semitic like Borat; like, why would anyone fear a couple like that and think they turned into cockroaches and love money. His target is anti-Semitism. The jokes are pro-Jew.

[/ QUOTE ]

OBV, but I think some of that was pretty overboard. I know anti-semetic arabs who have jewish friends. Anti-semetism is pretty complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, but isn't his name Cohen? i just figured he had to be a Jew. I mean, he's in the industry.

EDIT: yup, apparently born to an Orthodox family, even
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 AM

OK, it was hilarious. Saw it with four people who were seeing it for the second time in a PACKED theater. I think being in a big theater that is full of people psyched for Borat helps. I'm surprised that anyone could enjoy this as much the second time, but my companions claimed to enjoy it just as much. I doubt I'll see it again.

There are definitely moments that I feel bad about the "let's trick stupid people into doing stupid things on-camera". I think Cohen goes beyond Jackass-style "holy crap" comedy, but part of the humor is people being fooled. I still laughed my ass off, but I felt a little sheepish about it.

There is obviously one three-minute stretch that I can't imagine anyone not finding funny. But after hearing "possibly the funniest movie in the history of cinema" from several sources, I can't help but wonder if the hype hurt my enjoyment. Bruno will be approximately 30% as good.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This movie was hilarious and these people should be happy they got to help make history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a big difference between making fun of anti-semites, religious zealots, homophobes, etc. and making fun of poor people or a particular culture or ethnic group.

How would people have reacted if the opening scenes of the movie were set in a small village in Africa or Asia, instead of a small village in Kazakhstan (Romania)?

I've actually thought about my reaction to this movie quite a bit since I saw it a few days ago. I think Cohen is a brilliant guy, but there is something about the premise and execution of the film that bothers me.

There are moments of brilliant satire (aimed at very appropriate targets) but also too many moments of juvenile bodily function humor and mean spiritedness that IMO weren't necessary, and they detracted from the quality of the viewing experience.

The dinner party scene was a brilliant and scathing look at the pretentiousness of a particular class of people. Then we got the feces scene, which to me is just a lazy way of getting laughs.

I think the whole movie is like that. Maybe 20 minutes of brilliance (half of which can be found on YouTube) surrounded by 70 minutes of bodily function humor and other scenes that aren't that funny.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Jasper:

Fart jokes are funny.

[ QUOTE ]
How would people have reacted if the opening scenes of the movie were set in a small village in Africa or Asia, instead of a small village in Kazakhstan (Romania)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously people would not have reacted as well - it would be ridiculous to think villages in these countries would have a running of the jew.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jasper:

Fart jokes are funny.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously people would not have reacted as well - it would be ridiculous to think villages in these countries would have a running of the jew.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck!

Why it isn’t ridiculous that Kazakhstan would have would have running of the Jew as well?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jasper:

Fart jokes are funny.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck!

Why it isn’t ridiculous that Kazakhstan would have would have running of the Jew as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sightless:

I guess sarcasm does not go over well in braille?