Herbal Tea 2 4.65%
Tea (milk..) 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

Although I hate to quote myself, from the 3+1 challenge:
[ QUOTE ]
Bears-1 over Giants and over 38.5
This might be one of the easiest Bears overs of the year.

Not to go real deep into Xs and Os but I have loved this match-up for the Bears since last year. The Bears defense can be beat by short quick passes. They eat up teams that use 5 and 7 step drops and try and throw the ball down the field. There is a shot Tiki will break off a big run or two with the Bears still struggling to replace Mike Brown, but it won't be enough if Eli spends the game on his back and throwing balls into coverage. Without the Giants ends to provide pressure Grossman will pick apart this Giant's D. And although the Giants stats against the run have been good, I still think you can run the ball against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some great adjustments to the blitz in this game by the Bears. You knew the Giants would try and throw the kitchen sink at Grossman and both him and Turner made some good adjustments that I had been begging for since the Arizona game. Sticking with the running which [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] worked. Short passes to keep Rex in a groove. Then once they are selling out for the run attacking the secondary. Simple adjustments they were not making earlier in the year.

Turnovers continue to kill them. There are times I am convinced the only time they give up points is when the offense turns the ball over in their own territory.

Chris Harris started to get some playing time and looked a little better than Todd Johnson, who was so bad on that first drive I wanted to head to New York to deck him. I hope that he gets some more shots and starts to get healthy and confident to hopefully be able to take Mike Brown's spot for the forseeable future.

It looked like Muhammed was okay at the end of the game. I still havn't seen why he went into the locker room. He needs to stay healthy and he had one hell of a game. I did love when I thought they were going down for an injury update and Andrea Kramer tells us that "Deven Hester paused on purpose" thanks Andrea I could care less that the Bears #1 reciever is in the locker room tell me more about Hestor's acting skill!

I'm sure all of the Bears haters will now just talk about how they beat a "injury plauged" Giants team and that this win doesn't count either. Good enough for me. This game showed me that both the offense and defense can adjust and that is the best news of all. We know they can play great in their own style, but if teams are going to try and design ways to beat them and they actually show they can adjust, I become giddy again.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 AM

I think it was a quality game. If you look at the game thread I was wondering the same thing. Why hadn't they thrown short outs. They hadn't done it in the previous 2 scares.

They adjusted and outplayed the Giants heavily for 2 quarters and 2 minutes. Yes Giants were injured but it was on the road and the Giants made the Bears look like hell for the first 28 minutes. About time they did something right.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what the hell changed from the first half to the second?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bears protected Grossman better and used shorter drops and shorter routes. Grossman had time, stepped into his throws, and turned back into an NFL quarterback. Getting the running game going obviously helped as well.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:03 PM

bump because the Bears rule
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump because the Bears rule

[/ QUOTE ]

A little [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but still very [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] by this post.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:29 PM

I've been impressed by the way the Bears responded to adversity last week and the renaissance on defense

home field is a lock now IMO

adding to your joy for the holiday season I am
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been impressed by the way the Bears responded to adversity last week and the renaissance on defense

home field is a lock now IMO

adding to your joy for the holiday season I am

[/ QUOTE ]
Somebody got laid. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I have been a big fan of adjusting to a running game and some short passes when Rex is struggling, but that was a bit too extreme. Just a strange game plan in general. I was waiting for the play action down the field and they just never got to it. There was maybe one or two tries, but that was it. I'm just hoping it's not a 3-4 problem. Of course we will find out next week. If it is that will be a big adjustment against the Cowboys.

The defense played well and this was the first week where you really saw what is going to make the defense even better. The Jets refused to try a 50 yard field goal. With that long Hester return last week the Bears have effectivly changed the ability for teams to try long field goals. With teams now having to get to the 30 or inside the defense becomes that much better.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 PM

After watching this game, I feel two things stand out:

1) Grossman REALLY has to get in a groove early or his whole game is off.

2) Cedric Benson is a better running back than Thomas Jones, but he cannot pass block. If he could pass block better, TJ would be a change of pace back only. (And I'd probably have to retire my TJ jersey)

The Bears this year are kind of an enigma. I honestly don't know from week to week which team is going to show up. The D and Special Teams are solid like usual, but with Hester doing the return duties, you never know which guy you are going to see, Mister Touchdown or Mister Muffed-kick.

I'm tired of hearing Urlacher is so overrated. Come on, the guy is a beast. I feel at this point resigning Briggs has got to be a #1 priority, as he is probably one of the best LBs in the league. I imagine Urlacher feels a lot less weight on his shoulders knowing Briggs is bringing it every play.

Grossman's record as a starter is 13-4. He's been in the league for 4 seasons now, I feel like he will be a much more consistent passer who makes better decisions next year. Honestly, as I watch this team, I don't see them winning it all. I feel they are one of the top teams in the league, but I don't feel this year is the year. I really hope I am wrong, but we'll see.

Next week versus the Pats is going to be the barometer for this entire season. Biggest game of the year, easily. If they win this one, I'll re-evaluate, but for now, I honestly don't see them going all the way. Damn, I hate saying that, but that's what I think. Let go Bears, prove me wrong!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cedric Benson is a better running back than Thomas Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think so? From what I've seen of the Bears, TJ is the better runner.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cedric Benson is a better running back than Thomas Jones

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think so? From what I've seen of the Bears, TJ is the better runner.

[/ QUOTE ]
everytime (which means almost every run)TJ does that stupid dance behind the line of scrimmage trying to make people miss makes me want to punch him, i'd rather have Benson back there cuz he's always moving forward instead of sideways