Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: June\'s \"Beaches & Sunsets\" thread

[ QUOTE ]
That's weird. Usually you and I see eye to eye on most subjects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear why you think my take on it is less logical than your own. Personally, I think you're going at this from your feelings more than anything, which I don't think is the right approach. I think logic serves us better here, and I think my logic has been okay. I think your feelings are okay too, but just not quite as useful.

It also seems like this discussion is putting two concepts against each other: forum long-term vs. forum short-term. Encouraging trigger-issue topics will always spike interest short term, but I'm suggesting that the long-term benefits aren't good, and will change the character of the forum by alienating too many people. That's, well, what those subjects do, isn't it?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM

Trigger-issue topics will also encourage trolls to drop by and spew. Low signal-to-troll ratio is one of the things I like about tl;dr.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It might have somthing to do with something pryor said to me, about me or behind my back.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was it, dude. you don't even want to know what i was telling Dom and db about you. it was some mean [censored] [censored].
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm still pretty new around here, so I feel compelled in a way to say something. Probably one of the hardest things about trying to post, especially in a thread like this, is not really knowing what's going on a lot of the time. I don't know, for example, if pryor and fyodor are actually great friends and are just having a gay, old time or if there's an old bitter streak festering that I wouldn't know anything about.

But I will say this: of all the 2+2 sites, this was the only one that has held my interest for more than half a beer. Do I not post because of trigger issues? Maybe so. I'm not afraid of anyone bashing my views, but I have no interest in generating any more negativity than can already be found pretty easily on just about any online discussion.

There are plenty worse than this, that's for sure.

Is there some way to sort of separate things a bit better? I'd hate to see this community disperse or break up. There must be some sort of solution. What if trigger issues were kept to pro and con threads, where people would be confined to voicing their concerns in a similar manner to others on a given topic? Or is that too segregational?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear why you think my take on it is less logical than your own. Personally, I think you're going at this from your feelings more than anything, which I don't think is the right approach. I think logic serves us better here, and I think my logic has been okay. I think your feelings are okay too, but just not quite as useful.

It also seems like this discussion is putting two concepts against each other: forum long-term vs. forum short-term. Encouraging trigger-issue topics will always spike interest short term, but I'm suggesting that the long-term benefits aren't good, and will change the character of the forum by alienating too many people. That's, well, what those subjects do, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, I really don't know how to respond to this stuff. Obviously you are very smart and logical and extremely well spoken. I, on the other hand, feel like that guy who posted about ADD and who has difficulty constructing sentences. I'd rather not get into an argument with you about this. I've no doubt you are more logical than I am.

I view this as an adult forum and I think it can handle some political topics. I really don't think the majority of posters here are that sensitive that they can't handle some political or current topics that might be considered polarizing. If the titles seem off-putting or offensive then don't open the thread. That's been my approach and it works pretty well.

When I say "some political topics", I don't mean to inundate you guys. But these forums are for discussion. That's what forums are. If we are going to fear alienation then we are looking at it from two opposite ends. You fear alienating people if we create a certain thread, I fear alienating people if we don't create threads. (I can only post so many pictures of cute dresses and shoes before everyone gets sick of it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) We need threads that create discussion.

It doesn't hurt to find out what people think on current topics or controversial issues. Frankly, I like to hear what other people think. That's the point of forums isn't it? One political thread over the course of 2 or 3 days is not going to kill a forum and might be interesting.

You respond that you are using logic and I am using feelings. Aren't we both just expressing our opinions? I don't even know how to respond to the guys on here who do the logic argument thing on me. What am I supposed to say to that? I base my beliefs on observations. I've been watching forum life for what, about 2 years now?

Finally, I'm not talking inflammatory threads about races or religions. I'm talking about discussions with respect to politics and political topics. Why some people had to become rude in DB's thread on Bush is beyond me. People need to use common sense and manners. There were a number of people in DB's thread who were able to remain quite civil.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't hurt to find out what people think on current topics or controversial issues. Frankly, I like to hear what other people think. That's the point of forums isn't it? One political thread over the course of 2 or 3 days is not going to kill a forum and might be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to step on my response, Katy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'll just add that another really hard thing about being a new poster is that you have to deal with these inter-relational conversations that have less to do with the subject at hand and perhaps a little more to do with people's pride. Isn't most of this what PM'ing is for?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, I really don't know how to respond to this stuff. Obviously you are very smart and logical and extremely well spoken. I, on the other hand, feel like that guy who posted about ADD and who has difficulty constructing sentences. I'd rather not get into an argument with you about this. I've no doubt you are more logical than I am.

I view this as an adult forum and I think it can handle some political topics. I really don't think the majority of posters here are that sensitive that they can't handle some political or current topics that might be considered polarizing. If the titles seem off-putting or offensive then don't open the thread. That's been my approach and it works pretty well.

When I say "some political topics", I don't mean to inundate you guys. But these forums are for discussion. That's what forums are. If we are going to fear alienation then we are looking at it from two opposite ends. You fear alienating people if we create a certain thread, I fear alienating people if we don't create threads. (I can only post so many pictures of cute dresses and shoes before everyone gets sick of it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) We need threads that create discussion.

You respond that you are using logic and I am using feelings. Aren't we both just expressing our opinions? I don't even know how to respond to the guys on here who do the logic argument thing on me. What am I supposed to say to that? I base my beliefs on observations. I've been watching forum life for what, about 2 years now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that relying on beliefs isn't as good as trying to do better. My logic could be off, and if so, fine. But at least it gives us a solid foundation for discussion. If you think responding to logic is hard, think how tough it is for anyone to respond to beliefs.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 AM

Thanks for your input Cincykiddo. It's really nice to hear from other loungers and lurkers. I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

As for Pryor and fyodor, nobody knows what their beef is about. I hear that Pryor said something insulting and now fyodor has up and left for awhile.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd hate to see this community disperse or break up. There must be some sort of solution. What if trigger issues were kept to pro and con threads, where people would be confined to voicing their concerns in a similar manner to others on a given topic? Or is that too segregational?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, I will have to give this some thought. I don't want you guys to think that I'm dying to have a bunch of so called "trigger issue" threads. I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional one from time to time, though. One thing I like about forum life is the back and forth exchanges and occasional heated discussion that happens in certain threads, and also the way some of them go off on interesting tangents. While I find this sort of cool, I notice other people really hate it and are like "Let's keep this thread on topic, please." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I seem to be a maverick of sorts. I just appreciate the fluid nature of threads and how they are driven by the personalities of the posters. I think an occasional political thread could be an interesting read in this way.

But anyway, I will give your suggestion some thought. You might be onto something. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 AM

What I do for that is check other forums. The living hell of Politics awaits anytime we want it ...

I think pryor and fyodor are kidding. Pryor had a beef with someone else, I think. Or that guy had a beef with him. Whatever.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think pryor and fyodor are kidding. Pryor had a beef with someone else, I think. Or that guy had a beef with him. Whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone got mad about something he thought i said back in june of 2006.

as far as i know, fyodor's just messing around